• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 ranger ROUGH/DYING idle, STRONG gas smell under hood, gas dripping from headers

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
91 ford ranger 2.9
The other day on a 3 hour road trip the check engine light came on for 15 minutes, and then shut off for the rest of the trip. While driving the other night it came back on; no real loss of power just seemed to be a slight "caming" effect at idle. I ran the obd1 self test on it and got codes 67 and 41 with key on engine off. 67 is something to do with the clutch pedal ...and irrelevant for this issue I believe. 41, However, says something about "HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side)." From what I gathered it meant something about the o2 sensor...so I replaced it and now the truck has no check engine light BUT the truck runs WORSE. ROUGH idle, will die if I don't rev the motor, cab/motor bay smells like gas...with gas leaking from where the ds exhaust pipe connects to the headers I believe. Pulled a spark plug and its covered in gas as well (duh of course...just saying). I run the self test now and it gives me 11...which is system pass...umm no....I have checked for vacuum leaks, I don't have a way to test fuel pressure but I will note that a few days ago it started randomly busting off the L shaped fuel line plug on the top of the fuel pump lid....(forgot the clip but it never did it before, had it like that for a month). It has a new fuel pump, temp sending unit, o2 sensor, thermostat, fuel filter.

I REALLY would like some help, thanks

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
91 ford ranger 2.9
The other day on a 3 hour road trip the check engine light came on for 15 minutes, and then shut off for the rest of the trip. While driving the other night it came back on; no real loss of power just seemed to be a slight "caming" effect at idle. I ran the obd1 self test on it and got codes 67 and 41 with key on engine off. 67 is something to do with the clutch pedal ...and irrelevant for this issue I believe. 41, However, says something about "HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side)." From what I gathered it meant something about the o2 sensor...so I replaced it and now the truck has no check engine light BUT the truck runs WORSE. ROUGH idle, will die if I don't rev the motor, cab/motor bay smells like gas...with gas leaking from where the ds exhaust pipe connects to the headers I believe. Pulled a spark plug and its covered in gas as well (duh of course...just saying). I run the self test now and it gives me 11...which is system pass...umm no....I have checked for vacuum leaks, I don't have a way to test fuel pressure but I will note that a few days ago it started randomly busting off the L shaped fuel line plug on the top of the fuel pump lid....(forgot the clip but it never did it before, had it like that for a month). It has a new fuel pump, temp sending unit, o2 sensor, thermostat, fuel filter.

I REALLY would like some help, thanks
Maybe the fuel pressure regulator is shot. Pull the little vacuum line off of the rear of the FPR while it's running and see if a little fuel leaks out of it. It sucks that you don't have any codes especially since it's running rich even with a new O2 sensor (you would think that you would get a running rich code). It might be case of the ECU adjusting to whatever temperature it thinks that it is according to input from the intake air temperature sensor. It should be fairly easy to see what that temperature sensor is reading along with the 2-wire coolant temperature sensor. They have the specs at www.fordfuelinjection.com and are fairly easy to check out with a multimeter. Good luck with it.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
RyanL

I think he is correct with his first statement,I had a 91 fs bronco that did EXACTLY the same thing.It was the regulator an easy but time consuming fix "screws were hard to get to".GOOD LUCK!

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think he is correct with his first statement,I had a 91 fs bronco that did EXACTLY the same thing.It was the regulator an easy but time consuming fix "screws were hard to get to".GOOD LUCK!
Was it because of the O-ring wasn't going into the fuel rail right, because it was giving me hell. I was trying to grease it up and everything, it just did not want to go in right. Also some guys say that you can re-use the hard plastic gas line (I think that it's nylon), but could not get it on the new one to save my life. Luckily the new one from Autozone came with a little fuel line and 2 hose clamps which seemed alright. I was a little leery about putting hose clamps on a higher pressure system, but I've checked it several times since then and it's not leaking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals