• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 ranger dome light

MarcosLopez77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello I have a ford ranger which dome light works fine when doors are ajar. Light sometimes works for a few seconds when the switch is turned on. Cargo light works fine when switch is on. I read on a previous post there is a diode in the wiring from switch to light that I think may be the culprit. Does anyone have a part number for this diode and wondering how much hassle it is to access the diode? Thank u in advance

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
For a '93, the part number appears to be 1N4003. That should work fine for yours. Look for it in the wiring near the dome light and cargo light. There is a silver band on one end of it. Take note of how it's installed. Current only flows one direction through a diode. So installing it right matters.

Also, you may just have a loose connection somewhere in or near those lights.

MarcosLopez77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For a '93, the part number appears to be 1N4003. That should work fine for yours. Look for it in the wiring near the dome light and cargo light. There is a silver band on one end of it. Take note of how it's installed. Current only flows one direction through a diode. So installing it right matters.

Also, you may just have a loose connection somewhere in or near those lights.
Thank you sir gonna dig around in there tomorrow when I get the headliner off and look for loose connections. Thank you also for providing that part number I greatly appreciate that

MarcosLopez77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I removed the headliner located the diode near the cargo light. I put a test light to the wire going into the diode and im showing power, put the test light after the diode and no power. I removed the diode and wired directly and I have light. only problem without the diode my cargo lamp will also turn on anytime I open the doors. I don't see these diodes at local automotive stores. does anyone know of any stores that sell these other then buying online?

Last edited:

MarcosLopez77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
***Solved, it was the diode as suspected

thank you ericbphoto for the part number

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals