• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Ranger bodied 5.3 ls swap

Gregin30655

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
Yea man it’s getting closer. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll check your build out !!
I just saw this build. I am building an 88 ranger GT and I am digging this. I dont have a shop at home which sucks, and with 7 cars/trucks in the driveway I dont have much room. (Yeah my fancy HOA loves me). Thanks for so many pics, you answered questions with them alone and will help me tremendously. I am bagging on beams as well, and bagging a mono leaf rear. I dont need body drop because the GTs have ground effects I want to keep, but lay down on them. I am running 18/20" so I am anxious to get it down and see what I have to cut in the fenders. (Its in my buddys fab shop now getting started on all the cutting and welding). Keep posting, theres a silent majority here that appreciates all we can learn and you have really helped me a ton.
GC

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
Someone who swapped the right motor in for once! ? looking forward to seeing progress.
Just what we need another Fordolet. I'm going to buy a 63 splitwindow Corvette and put a Ford flathead in it. Just sayin. I get so tired of going to shows or cruise ins and seeing a really nice Ford and then looking under the hood and seeing a Chevy engine.:shout::poop:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Just what we need another Fordolet. I'm going to buy a 63 splitwindow Corvette and put a Ford flathead in it. Just sayin. I get so tired of going to shows or cruise ins and seeing a really nice Ford and then looking under the hood and seeing a Chevy engine.:shout::poop:
Yeah after thinking about it... i really don't see the appeal of a motor that can be bought for around 200 bucks and who's bottom end will support 5x its factory horsepower 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I'm all for flathead swapping an old 'vette. The sound a flathead makes IS super enjoyable, especially if its been juiced up a touch.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I think people should build what makes them happy, not what makes others happy.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

bodied91ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
tonight we had some great progress. got the steering totally functional. pics to follow just spent 6 hours in the shop after work to get it done.. bedtime!!!

bodied91ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
so the Belair dash we cut the space below the column out when we originally worked it into the ranger. so this open space needed to have something in there that would hold the column so this is what I came up with. there will be a top clamp that bolts down from the top to hold the column in place. pulling the cab back off next week to finish weld it then the blocking and painting comes next. figured I would share this before bed. doesn't look like much now but will look like it belongs on the dash when its done. good night everyone

Attachments

bodied91ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Working on mounting the radiator and the Volvo power steering unit tonight. Notched the top of the core support to push it forward. Looking for ideas from you guys on mounting it?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's always the million dollar question. That one seems to offer a pretty decent challenge for secure mounting.

There is a bunch of mounting do dads and thing-a-ma-jigs available to make this happen. I'm sure a google search will let you start to visualize a final solution.

Maybe a lower crossmember with a couple rubber mounts across the bottom to do the lions share of the work. Then a couple custom brackets on the top with saddle rubbers to keep it in place.

JEGS 52077: Universal Urethane Radiator Mounting Pads | JEGS

Aluminum Radiator Mounting Bracket With Pads Kit (speedwaymotors.com)

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
Yeah after thinking about it... i really don't see the appeal of a motor that can be bought for around 200 bucks and who's bottom end will support 5x its factory horsepower 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I'm all for flathead swapping an old 'vette. The sound a flathead makes IS super enjoyable, especially if its been juiced up a touch.
Yea, I know cheap hp. If thats all there is to it why drive a Ford? Chevy guys bash Fords all the time. Fix Or Repair Daily all the others. Why do they love Ford vehicles with Chevy power??? The only thing good in a Chevy is the engine?? I'm not trying to get a battle going, just Chevy powered Fords is gettin old. But so am I and grumpy!!

bodied91ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Yea, I know cheap hp. If thats all there is to it why drive a Ford? Chevy guys bash Fords all the time. Fix Or Repair Daily all the others. Why do they love Ford vehicles with Chevy power??? The only thing good in a Chevy is the engine?? I'm not trying to get a battle going, just Chevy powered Fords is gettin old. But so am I and grumpy!!
What about people swapping Cummins into fords? Is that getting old too? Who cares what motors in the damn thing lol. At the end of the day it’s a Ford. Main reason I ls swapped is because of the lower intake manifold options I had abs with a body drop I needed it to be low as possible. Good day Grumpy !!!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Nah I get you, especially the grumpy part lol. But I'd totally ls swap a fox.. better looking than a camaro!

bodied91ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
got exhaust tips fabbed and installed today. drivers side matches the passenger. plan on running 3" used four inch pipe on inside of tip so the three inch sits just inside to prevent any rattle. feeling good about them

Attachments

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Can't wait to see this done.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals