• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 ranger 2.3 interchangeable with 96 ranger2.3 ?????

HellSpawn6G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can someone please tell me if I can put a 2.3L motor from a 96 ranger in a 91 ranger that had a 2.3L motor in it. Both motors are 8 plug motors.

If so what all needs to be swapped over and what about the crank sensor ??????? THANKS IN ADVANCE PLEASE HELP !!!!

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
It is not a direct swap. I did a swap of a '98 2.5 into my '93 which would be the same job that you are looking to do. See my old thread for more details.

HellSpawn6G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your input. I read your earlier thread and that was exactly what I was questioning. I would like to ask you though being that both engines in my case are 2.3L what exactly would I have to modify besides the crank sensor? Also, the crank on the 96 has a gear on it almost similar to a reluctur wheel , will the earlier 91 crank sensor read this ? Thanks again for the confirmation.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Blocks are different for engine accessory mounting points. Just find a '89-'94 ranger 2.3, those will be a direct swap.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I agree with turbo91xlt. Since I have done the swap, I feel it was not worth the work that I had to put into it. If you insist on using a '95-'97 2.3, the thread I linked to above is everything you will need to do. The '98 2.5 is identical to '95-'97 2.3 except the stroke is longer.

'94smurf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It is not a direct swap. I did a swap of a '98 2.5 into my '93 which would be the same job that you are looking to do. See my old thread for more details.
How did the crank pulley work out? Looking at swapping '95 2.3 into a '94 2.3. I know the crank sensors are completely different .

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
How did the crank pulley work out? Looking at swapping '95 2.3 into a '94 2.3. I know the crank sensors are completely different .
It is still installed and working fine. It does quite a bit of sitting around now that it is no longer a daily driver.

I still recommend not doing the swap, especially if you are not increasing the displacement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals