• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Emergency Brake Catastrophe

91xlt4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4.0L 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everybody. Nice to be a member. Just bought a rather basket case 1991 4.0L XLT 4x4. I'm kinda excited. First post.

Here where I live we have safety inspections so everything's gotta work. I was just doing a check and everything was good. Last thing to check was the emergency brake.

I pressed on the E-brake pedal and it was stiff right off the top. Way to tight. No Parking brake light. I released the pedal and it came back up. No ratchet action. Came back in and did some searching. Found a post someplace on a f150 forum that said the ratchet action starts pretty deep in the throw so I went back outside and super mashed the pedal.

BAM!

The pedal went to the floor and now has no resistance. It's flaccid now but turns out the parking brake light works albeit intermittently. No big deal I thought in a blink of an eye. I'll just replace the cable. ( Found out the cable is fine. The barrell on the end pulled out of whatever it hooks up to right by the driver-side door and it's too cold, wet and dark right now to mess with it) All that stuff is pretty par for the course but here's the rub.

The very moment my pedal slammed to the floor, my Low Oil light came on and has stayed on.

Wut?

Does this make sense to anybody? What could have happened? Where do I start looking?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Sounds like a grounding issue of some sort

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would start by checking the oil....

91xlt4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4.0L 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys.

@rusty ol ranger > The ground thing went thru my head because this truck is very rusty.
@Uncle Gump > First thing I did when the sun came up was check the oil. It IS a quart low. I'd be surprised but relived if the light goes out when I top off, seeing as how the light came on simultaneously as the cable broke. It was violent. I'm wondering if the shock of it maybe shook some rust lose and/or shocked the light or sensor into life.

Meanwhile, the do-hickey that connects the front cable to the rear cables gave out on account of rust. It's called an equalizer and is discontinued. Bummer.

I'll only be driving this truck a few times a year, hauling stuff to the dump, picking up lumber, going grocery shopping when my car won't go thru the snow.

Still happy to have it. It's looking almost decent as I attempt to bring it back from the dead.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Its in way better shape then mine. And mines a DD.

A quart low wont throw an oil light. I think it has to be 2 or 3 qts low.

Is your oil pressure gauge functioning?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The parking brake cables on the Rangers are in three sections, right side rear, left side rear, and the front section. If the barrel swedge came off one of the ends of the cable, you will need to change the cable.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the cable might have be seized in the housing. Over time as the seal on the ends and the interior lining wears, water, dirt, and grime get in and builds up causing the cable to rust and freeze when it is cold. Depending on your money situation, you might want to consider replacing both sides. Possibly the front one as well if it’s looking pretty gnarly as well.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That’s one heck of a steep hill you park on. A good anchor might work better than parking brakes. Plus, that angle will affect your oil level readings..;missingteeth;

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yeah... those pictures made me feel a little dizzy...

I would top off the oil and see if the light goes out.

91xlt4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4.0L 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
@ericbphoto - Uncle Gump > Ha. I was going to take a bunch of pics when I first got it but didn't. The only ones I had was from the security cam hanging from the roof of my house. The camera is tilted to I get the whole space out there.

@sgtsandman > Thanks. Before my cable snapped, while the pedal was going down but not ratcheting, I did check to see that the brake was engaging. I can't believe it but it was working great, just not staying on. I found out Ford parts person misunderstood me and gave me info for the wrong part. I found the one I need on eBay. $28. Yeay! See below for pics of the culprit, and a couple more just cuz pics are fun.

I just got a new grill, headlight bezels and headlights today. Grill and bezels were $53 and so were 2 brand new headlights with bulbs. Cheap but good enough for this truck. Existing grill isn't that bad but new one is black and if you look super close, one of the existing bezels are broken. Also started work on my tailgate. It's 37 degrees out now so not much work getting done right now.

They call this a Cable Assy Brake Adjuster but I don't see any adjusting about it.

Close up of failure.

Headlights AFTER they were sanded and buffed. Moisture inside both of them.

Tailgate with trim Panel removed and rust spots ground out. It;s in my house so the bare metal doesn't start rusting again. Trim panel is beyond shining so I'm going to paint it gloss black and jazz it up with some red reflective tape and a tribal looking American flag decal.

I'm wandering off topic now so maybe I'll start a back from the dead thread for this truck at some point, besides, I'll have to wait till at least Sunday's weather before I can start shaking those Rustoleum rattle cans.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals