• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 Ranger V8 Explorer rear axle brakes

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I've done a carbed 302 swap, and a 8.8 disc brake rear axle from a 01 explorer WITH the explorer master cylinder into my 1990 single cab, reg bed, 2wd Ranger that had a 2.9 and 5 speed in it originally. I don't have the stock computer from the ranger anymore. I'm ocd and crazy and am about to start cleaning up the wiring, removing unneeded wires and connectors. I've got an EVTM coming to help me with that.

How do I hook up the parking/emergency brake cables on the rear axle? I got the Dorman universal kit, but haven't had any luck getting it to work with the 3 cables, the drivers side axle cable comes up past the cable coming back from the pedal, and the pass side is pretty far away from the front cable.

Will the ABS work at all? Is there a separate module, or was it controlled in the computer?

If the ABS is able to work at all, will the explorer axle sensors work? Also there is a sensor on the master cylinder, do I need to do anything with that?

Thanks,
Jon

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I know @85_Ranger4x4 just went through the e brake thing on his truck...

He has detailed install of all of it... as with most things we do to these trucks... your results may vary. all the details are in his build thread.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The debacle starts here:

More or less concludes on post #1435

Moral of the story for my std cab longbox is that the rear mount needs moved farther back. As you can tell earlier on in my adventure adsm got along fine using the stock mount on his supercab... I am not really familiar with his setup.

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow that is a crazy huge thread, I'll have to read it when I get home from work, the bit I've read so far looks really helpful though. Did you deal with the ABS any?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
He has an '85, no RABS...

I swapped in an explorer 8.8 a decade ago into my '90, went drum first and didn't hook up the parking brake, then decided to go disc brake so swapped the parts over. I took everything from the Explorer including the frame bracket and just mounted it somewhere that the cables could both get to. From there I made some key hole brackets to connect to the ends of the cable and put a piece of 1/4" allthread between the two brackets. I'm still using a Ranger master cylinder and the brakes work GREAT, I'm sure they could work better with the right parts but light years better than a locker and mad drum brakes, it's kinda annoying sliding sideways to a stop light randomly... I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow of my cable setup, it was simple using some strap metal, a drill, an angle grinder with cutoff wheel and a vise to bend... could be done prettier but I was after function.

As for RABS, my light has been on for 10 years, haven't looked into it, probably something wrong in the valve, it's not a daily driver anymore and RABS never seemed to impress me...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals