• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 manual steering box?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So my 90's steering box/gear is leaking from the pitman arm. I think it has a tooth broken in it very sloppy steering even after alignment. The truck was hit 2 owners ago, ergo.... the bent frame.... so I was looking at napa since my friend gets everything at a cheaper rate then us supposedly. I noticed they sell manual steering gears has anyone ever used on on a ranger? Are they real nice like the manual racks in the foxbody? I have an opportunity to get powerdyne blower cheap so I would have to change things up a bit. I would like to eliminate unnecessary accessories if I can.

Is the manual steering box larger than the power steering box?
(Oil filter relocation clearance)
Will I need to change any other things?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?q=Nty=1&N=2500007+2600705+2800830+10199000+5002800+200280440&Score=1&referer=plp&partTypeName=Power Steering Gear&keywordInput=steering gear&scene=partTypesScene1&fullyQualified=true

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The manual box is actually smaller

The input and sector shafts are different from the powered gear, so you'll need a manual pitman arm (1" - 32 spline) and a manual steering shaft. I made mine from a Cherokee as they have the same splines (3/4" - 30 spline)

Found a 3/4 30 spline shaft on a Jeep Cherokee today. Luckily the DD shafts between an '89 ranger and first gen Cherokee are the same and it made for an easy swap.

Power vs manual

Cherokee shaft on bottom, ranger shaft on top

Both shafts shortened; left is Cherokee and goes to the steering box, right is Ranger and goes to steering column

Completed shaft. I used the rangers shafts' plastic inner sleeve fitted over the Cherokee shaft and rubber outer sleeve on both

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Years ago I had a 2wd B2300 that had manual steering. It wasn't too bad, just took a lot more effort to turn the wheels at a dead stop. That was my main complaint, once you get moving, it's fine.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The manual box is actually smaller

The input and sector shafts are different from the powered gear, so you'll need a manual pitman arm (1" - 32 spline) and a manual steering shaft. I made mine from a Cherokee as they have the same splines (3/4" - 30 spline)
About what year Cherokee?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
About what year Cherokee?
1990 or so, the older generation.

Most GM and Jeep from the 80's-90's used saginaw boxes with the 1"-32 sector shaft and 3/4"-30 input shaft, so parts are easily found in junkyards along with from places like Borgeson. I am using both the bottom steering shaft u-joint and pitman arm for a cherokee on my manual box, though combined with an electric power steering motor from a Saturn Vue.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1990 or so, the older generation.

Most GM and Jeep from the 80's-90's used saginaw boxes with the 1"-32 sector shaft and 3/4"-30 input shaft, so parts are easily found in junkyards along with from places like Borgeson. I am using both the bottom steering shaft u-joint and pitman arm for a cherokee on my manual box, though combined with an electric power steering motor from a Saturn Vue.
Nice. I was thinking about doing the mazda 3 eps swap like PJ said he would do the next time but I want to free up space incase a turbo shows up or supercharger..... gonna need some pipe space in some weird places.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals