• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

9 inch 99 ranger

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I have a leaking axle seal on the driver side of my nine inch that im swapping into my 99. Got an axle seal from advance auto and put it in. Looked like everything went in great. Went to put the shaft back in and it wont go in. What the hell? I ended up just taking it out so I could get the thing back together and put it under the truck, but it will still be leaking. It looks to me that there is a difference between driver side and passenger side. Any info on 9 inch axle seal replacement would be greatly appreciated. Its from a 79 bronco.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
wont go in as in the seal is tight? If so that sounds about right. Lube it up and hammer it in.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No I got the damn seal in all the way into the axle tube. It seated properly and wasnt crooked or anything. Its when I was going to put the axle shaft back in that I was unable to get it to go past the 2 bearings and on the end of the shaft. I made a half ass pic of it on paint. The two arrows are to the bearings on the end of the shaft. The other round pic is of the axle tube with the seal in it. I tried pounding the axle shaft in but it just bounced back out. We left the drum assembly off and tried to use the 4 bolts to try to press it on that way and we got it pretty far on and the axle shaft wouldnt rotate. Im lost. Ive never messed with an axle that didnt use c clips or one with bearings on the end of the shaft. Is this a semi floating axle and I need to replace the oil ring on the shaft instead? Im confused as hell.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
so wait. Do you have the sealed bearing on the shaft, or taper bearing?

If you have the sealed bearing guess what, you dont use a seal:icon_rofl:

you just put RTV around the bearing case.

Last edited:

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i have 2 ideas... did you replace the bearing when you replaced the seal and then leave the old race for the old bearing stuck in the housing? and is it possible that your not getting the splines on the axle lined up in the spider gears?

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also it is possible that someone has put an earlier style seal in the housing some where along the way and there is now a seal inside the housing along with the one on the axle that you just replaced

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright I think I might be somewhat of a tard. It must be a sealed bearing and it doesnt use an axle seal. Like I said never messed with one of these axles before. So where exactly do I put the rtv?
And would one shaft be different than the other? The passenger side has a tapered bearing on the end, which is not leaking and the driver side which is leaking has the sealed bearing.
And fordtrucknut I got the splines lined up because I was able to rotate the pinion with the axle shaft in as far as i could get it. And there wasnt a newer axle seal in it when I put the one in. I just thought that maybe it had come out when the previous owner had taken it apart.
Ok one last edit. I think I know what your sayin nmb2 about rtvin around the bearing case. I will try this out and see what happens.
Oh and nmb2 you had said somethin about my ghetto steering setup before. I will hopefully be addressing that this weekend. Friday I am pickin up my already drilled flat top knuckles. Yeah for hi-steer for me!

Last edited:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I think I might be somewhat of a tard. It must be a sealed bearing and it doesnt use an axle seal. Like I said never messed with one of these axles before. So where exactly do I put the rtv?
And would one shaft be different than the other? The passenger side has a tapered bearing on the end, which is not leaking and the driver side which is leaking has the sealed bearing.
And fordtrucknut I got the splines lined up because I was able to rotate the pinion with the axle shaft in as far as i could get it. And there wasnt a newer axle seal in it when I put the one in. I just thought that maybe it had come out when the previous owner had taken it apart.
Ok one last edit. I think I know what your sayin nmb2 about rtvin around the bearing case. I will try this out and see what happens.
Oh and nmb2 you had said somethin about my ghetto steering setup before. I will hopefully be addressing that this weekend. Friday I am pickin up my already drilled flat top knuckles. Yeah for hi-steer for me!
hell ya to the hi-steer.

Let me dig up some pics of my old 9" axle to show you.

Edit:

here is a sealed bearing:

if that is what you have, just smear RTV around the case and inside the little "cup" in the axle end. that will seal it.

here you can see the axle end. No race or seal inside.

Last edited:

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks a lot for all the info. I really do appreciate it. I get saturday mornings to mess with it so I will definetly be doin this saturday mornin. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals