• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 ranger no start

charliecoker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to this forum so if i'm in the wrong place i apologize.

I have an 89 ranger 2.3l manual. The other day i was idling at a stoplight in neutral and it just died. didnt seem to make any strange noises or jerks, just like i had turned it off. wouldn't start after that. Ran EEC test only in KOEO and pulled stored codes. I got code 14, PIP circuit failure. This is everything i've checked or replaced.

- Fuel pump can be heard priming
- Replaced fuel filter
- Fuses and relays check ok
- Ignition module check at Advance, passed test
- I am getting spark at the exhaust side coil pack (havent had a chance to check intake side. I have read that the exhaust side sparks first when starting, then intake side, so i checked the easier one to reach)
- Replaced crankshaft position sensor

I may be forgetting something here. I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge at the moment, but I tried just pressing the stem in the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Gas squirted, so i'm assuming at the time that there would be enough pressure, although i know where assuming gets me.

I don't think its a fuel issue, as starter fluid and even trickling gas in didnt change anything.

Inertia switch seems fine, but i've never messed with it before. Is the switch tricky? I don't think sitting at a stoplight would trigger it though.

If i missed anything, I apologize. at this point it's hard to remember what all i went through. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my daily driver. Until this gets fixed i'll be biking to work, which im not too excited about, haha.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm guessing you looked to see if the timing belt was intact when you changed the crank sensor? I'd also suggest checking to see if the timing belt skipped a tooth or two...

An '89 is pretty simple, the crank sensor drives the fuel and spark, so if you're getting spark you should be getting fuel at the right time, but the most common cause of these engines suddenly stalling and not restarting is a broken or skipped timing belt

charliecoker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I look at the belt when I was in there, but I've never dealt with the timing belt. At the mileage im at, I wouldn't doubt the belt being in trouble. I'll have to open her back up and take a more thorough look I might as well replace while I'm in there.
Once I do that I'll report back.

charliecoker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Replaced the belt today. The old belt had an 8" section with no teeth (directly around the crakshaft). Ran into trouble with finding the right timing while replacing the belt. Tried a quick test start before I put everything back together, and it fired right up. It's obviously off on the timing, so I quickly turned it off. Going to open her back up tomorrow and try to find TDC properly without the original belt in place. (remember, crank was spinning without belt, so it's been out of time since it died in the street)

Thanks for your help. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon i'll be cruising on down the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals