• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 89 Ranger electrical problem

Steve1950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
89 Ford Ranger; no brake lights turn signals or flashers. I pulled flasher unit out probed for 12v no 12v with engine off. I am assuming one of the contacts should have 12v so flahers can work when vehicle is not running. I don't get 12v with engine off. Start the truck up and I get 12v to the flasher unit. That just doesn't seem right to me. I have a generic wiring diagram and it says hot at all times to the flasher unit.
Also my generic wiring diagram shows the same hot or 12v going to brake light switch. So I check for 12v at brake light switch. Guess what, 12v just like it is supposed to have and depress brake pedal and 12v passes to other wire. Brake lights flashers and turn signals still don't work. Not surprised I didn't fix anything. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like everything passes through steering column multifunction switch. I suspect this switch is bad. Before I go through the trouble of replacing that switch anyone have any ideas? The 12v at flasher only when running has me baffelled. I changed the multifunction switch several years ago so maybe my part failed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989 will have 2 flashers, one for turn and one for 4-way, the 4-way has full time 12volts, I think its on the back of fuse box, turn is on the front

So no turns on dash or front, they use a separate wire than the rear turns

And is there a 3rd brake light on cab in 1989?
If so does it work?

Here is a 1990 turn hazard wiring diagram
The light green/orange(LG/O) and orange/light blue(O/LB) that run off to the right of the page go to the tail lights(brake/turn share 1 bulb on each side)

Outside of the 2 fuses the only thing these have in common is the Multi-function switch(turn signal stalk)

Attachments

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
No third brake light on an '89

Steve1950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replys guys. The wiring diagram is better than the one I have. I will work on this problem when I have time. Definatly want to look at the fuse area and look for that other flasher. I will get back to you when I figure anything out.

Steve1950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Lossened up fuse panel to get a good look at the back. Nothing on the back side except wires coming in. Taking a closer look at one of the wiring diagrams I suspect possibly the flasher is bad. I am heading off to auto zone to get a heavy duty flasher. Wouldn't that be nice if that was the problem.

Steve1950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Lossened up fuse panel to get a good look at the back. Nothing on the back side except wires coming in. Taking a closer look at one of the wiring diagrams I suspect possibly the flasher is bad. I am heading off to auto zone to get a heavy duty flasher. Wouldn't that be nice if that was the problem.
A new heavy duty flasher did not fix the problem. So I am trying to figure out the 12v flow through the fuse panel. On the back side of the fuse panel where all the wires come in I get a good solid 12v reading on the metal contact behind where the green with red stripe wire and the red with white stripe come in. No 12v on other side where flasher plugs in. Interesting I get 12v reading on the green with red stripe at the brake pedal switch. No 12v to flasher. Shouldn't 12v be present where the flasher plugs in??????? Niether of the wiring diagrams I have are correct, the both show 2 flashers this truck has only one. PS I checked for continuity rear lights to ground both sockets good. The attached photos are the fuse panel. IMG-0062 bottom left is where flasher plugs in. IMG-0066 back side of fuse panel. where the 3 wires wrap around that is the flasher corner. I can probe for 12v and get a good reading metal contact between the blue wire and the wires that wrap around the corner. It is just a metal contact on back side no wires where I get 12v. Voltage is not passing to the flasher plug in side.

Attachments

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Your fusebox doesn't have a second flasher on the backside, just opposite of the turn flasher? Is there a spot for it? That would be why they don't work.

This one should be accurate

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The Turn flasher only has 12v when the key is on.

The Hazard flasher plugs in here:

Steve1950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
:)SOOOO I will try plugging a flasher in the back side. I will give it a try

Steve1950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
All works now. So I am new at this site. How do I give you points for your expert advice? Thanks

Steve1950

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Here is a photo of the old Ranger you helped today. THANKS The photo is of the good side other side has some door jam damage no easy fix. My son bought this truck maybe 20 years ago. He lets me use it every once in a while.
Lots and lots of miles on the original 2.3. Tranny is a little newer, nice shifter.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work (y)

You can click on the "Like" link at the bottom of a post if you "liked it"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals