• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ranger 4.0 Swap and Hunting Rig, the Houndruner

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I know there’s better stuff out there, but I figure the stock ones lasted 30 years so why spend more money on expensive cup bearings. Plus I was afraid they would cause more vibration and noise in the cab. If I destroy these fast, I might go to bearings. Have you used them?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought this truck about 6 months ago. The original owner had started the 4.0 swap. I was kinda leery about it and I hope the engine is as sound as he claimed. But here’s the basics. The truck is an early 89 that had a 2.9 and a manual trans (FM-146). The motor, dash and majority of the wiring harness is from a 91 Explorer with an auto trans. I’m not sure what model trans. So far it looks like most everything was plug and play except for:
fuel lines
tail lights
reverse lights
cab light
Neutral safety switch wiring.

The fuel lines:
The original owner swapped the explorer’s fuel lines from the engine to the furl filter, into the ranger.

Neutral safety switch:
I had to figure this one out. The transmission harness has two plugs on it at each end. The neutral safety switch has two green wires coming out of it that turn to a white with black and a black with white after about 8”, at a plug. The white with black ran to a black plug while the black with white ran to a grey plug. I had to re-pin both wires, the black wire went up one hole while the white with black, I moved to the grey plug, next to the black with white. This now allows the ignition to crank the starter.

I haven’t started dealing with the tai lights, reverse lights or cab light yet.
Nice job. Pls is it possible to swap in the headlights, and rear lights of a 4.0l explorer v6, to a ranger 95 3.0l?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Doesnt coffee flavored beer make more sense?

Isn’t it already out there?
Nice job. Pls is it possible to swap in the headlights, and rear lights of a 4.0l explorer v6, to a ranger 95 3.0l?
I’m not sure. I imagine it can be done. For the front, you’d just need the brackets, grill and maybe hood, along with the fenders if they’re a different shape. I’ve never compared them or tried it.
Edit: I believe the rear lights would take a fair amount of fabrication. I don’t know if they’re the same shape.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
All the reinforcement and you didn't touch where I bent on my drivers side beam... Where that stupid hole is on the bottom side, that's where I bent mine when I hit the pumpkin with a rock in the road... No way in heck was I pulling that beam just for that so I chained it to something heavy and backed it up until it was straight :). Then I welded on a little reinforcement up there... I don't normally play with rocks since I have a 8:1 compression ratio 4 cylinder...

Looks good though!

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
All the reinforcement and you didn't touch where I bent on my drivers side beam... Where that stupid hole is on the bottom side, that's where I bent mine when I hit the pumpkin with a rock in the road... No way in heck was I pulling that beam just for that so I chained it to something heavy and backed it up until it was straight :). Then I welded on a little reinforcement up there... I don't normally play with rocks since I have a 8:1 compression ratio 4 cylinder...

Looks good though!

That’s good to know! I can still add metal and re-paint. Got any pictures?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Apparently I do :). One is what it did to the passenger side axle shaft in the window, and is why I started with changing the passenger side beam even though I couldn't find anything wrong with it... Then is what I did to the drivers side beam. Looking at the angles of everything, that should be enough but with the beam off you can go crazier, I'd probably venture to do similar top and bottom, looking at it if it is going to bend from impact it will bend there, it's the only area without any real structure...

Oh, and excuse the less than ideal welds, it was night time inverted flux core welding in the driveway, that's just 1" by 1/8" strap metal I think, could have been thinner, I don't remember, that piece that long was just sitting around...

20190202_181602.jpg
20190218_194613.jpg

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Thanks! I’m definitely going to add some .25” along the top and bottom now!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The main problem was that stupid hole whatever it's for, it stretched the back side out so I welded it closed before I welded the plate on...

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Well at least you can stretch a hole out!

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I ordered the external snap rings at Napa last week. They only got 4 in and then they sold them to someone else… So now, I’m still waiting for new snap rings.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
My standard shit for luck has returned! The company that I ordered the front gears from, sent me standard cut gears instead of reverse cut. Also, I’m not the first person to be in this girl’s front guts. You can see the scarring.

Attachments

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
So I got all ready and was going to extend the RA’s but then I realized, in order to position the joints right, I’m gonna have to move the trans X-member back 4-6”. Then I decided I’m not gonna do that today lol.

Attachments

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Well, even though I told the company I just wanted to get replacement gears, They’re giving me my money back, after I ship them my old gears. But since I already installed the larger bearing and oil slinger on the pinion, I’m going to have to find a replacement for that. I ordered a new gear set through Summit. The price was only about $15 more and the description says it’ll fit an explorer. I’m gonna be pretty mad if they are wrong too.