• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 ranger 2wd 2.9 auto

emitt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ok,,,,, my ranger is a 1989 2wd with a 2.9 auto. I want to put a 4.0 auto in it. today I found a 3-1995 ranger 4.0 2wd auto. I think I can get the hole truck for 300 bucks runs good,, may need a little tlc. all I want is the motor and tranny,,,, will that year work??? in my 1989 and will it be a bolt in with out cutting, chopping and hacking it up. my ranger is sweet no rust and I am in pa. never ran in the winter. any help would be nice. thanks emitt1

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Why are you swapping to the 4.0?

emitt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Why are you swapping to the 4.0?
well my motor is very weak,, and I heard that a 4.0 is a better motor. mine over heats and the tranny shifts like I got hit in the ass. so I thought I would try a 4.0

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can do that swap

1995 was first year for the EEC-V 104-wire computers(OBD2) in Rangers, your 1989 uses the EEC-IV 60-wire computer(OBD1)

1995 4.0l will also use the 4R55E automatic trans, same basic transmission as your A4LD but has full solenoid Valve body for shift control by computer

You will need to swap over 1995 computer with engine/transmission wiring harness, of course, and exhaust, which will have the O2 sensor after the Cat needed with newer EEC-V

No cutting or modifications needed but wiring interfaces/splicing will be needed

1995 automatic will still have the speedometer cable hook up, so you can keep 1989 dash
Charging system wiring will be similar
Temp and oil gauges use same type of senders on both engines in both years

You don't need the GEM module(body computer) which started in 1995, in your 1989

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You can do the 4.0 swap, and in bone stock form it does have more torque as it is essentially a bored and stroked 2.9.

Just keep in mind that a new to you motor isn't new, and may be in worse condition than your current one.

As Ron mentioned, the 1995 swap is going to be a lot more involved then a pre 1995 swap. Be prepared for wiring headaches for an engine that is unproven.

I chose to rebuild my 2.9 and prep it for forced induction. The choice is yours, but I'd be very wary of a $300 pickup's engine and trans. If the body and frame are good on the donor truck, then the reason it is so cheap is mechanical.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
See? Every now and then I can pretend to be a responsible adult.

emitt1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you can do that swap

1995 was first year for the EEC-V 104-wire computers(OBD2) in Rangers, your 1989 uses the EEC-IV 60-wire computer(OBD1)

1995 4.0l will also use the 4R55E automatic trans, same basic transmission as your A4LD but has full solenoid Valve body for shift control by computer

You will need to swap over 1995 computer with engine/transmission wiring harness, of course, and exhaust, which will have the O2 sensor after the Cat needed with newer EEC-V

No cutting or modifications needed but wiring interfaces/splicing will be needed

1995 automatic will still have the speedometer cable hook up, so you can keep 1989 dash
Charging system wiring will be similar
Temp and oil gauges use same type of senders on both engines in both years

You don't need the GEM module(body computer) which started in 1995, in your 1989
hey thanks for the info,,,both of youns. and to answer what is wrong with the 300 dollor tk. the body and frame are not any good. frame is broke and body looked like it was in a bumper car match, and it won. I just hope I am doing the right thing with this 4.0 thanks again for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals