• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ranger 2.9L

foranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there a Fuel/Air Acclerator Sensor on this engine? If there is can someone point me to it? :confused: Thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What? Do you mean a throttle position sensor? It (and the PCM) serves the purpose that an accelerator pump does in a carburetor.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am not sure what you are asking for. Are you referring to the Mass Air Flow sensor?

foranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think this engine has a MAS. But it does have a throttle position sensor that I had changed. I am in the process of changing out all the sensors and came across this one sensor (Fuel/Air Acclerator Sensor) that was under the catagory of 2.9L. I have inserted the link. Maybe the TPS has taken the place of this?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why would you EVER want to replace all the sensors? Most of them will outlast the vehicle.

And it's possible to replace every last one and still not fix a problem, since sensors are not the only parts of the engine management system.

TPS's are part of every fuel injected engine. They have to be.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you don't know what it is, you DEFINITELY don't know it's broken.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't know what it is, you DEFINITELY don't know it's broken.
:icon_rofl:

To answer your question:

That part you linked to is the speed sensor. I am not certain where it's located on 2.9L equipped, though my instincts tell me it's located in the tail of the transmission and the speedo-cable hooks into it. Some models were not even equipped with that sensor. On an AOD, there's a clip that you must expand (NOT REMOVE) to slip the speedo cable out. Attempting to remove that clip will cause damage. I am not certain if it's the same, but it looks really fimilar.

+1 to what Mike said.

Pete

foranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The truck being 18 years every so often while driving, the engine will start to stall. Shutting off the engine and starting it again seem to correct it. I did do a scan and came up with code 11. Fuel pressure is good. Change all the regular maintenance parts. So after reading from the old forum, one sensor at a time I changed. Still kept the old ones. I don't have a lot of time to look at the truck. Its my son's. Parts were not that expensive to buy. It was cheaper to troubleshoot that way instead of bringing it to a garage at 90 bucks an hr. Anything else I should look at? It doesn't happen that often. Thanks for the input.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, the seven miles of wiring in the truck?

If you think you're saving money by doing this, will you still think so after you've replaced 20 $50 sensors and actuators and still haven't fixed your problem?

18 years old isn't that old. People still have working Model A's.

Replacing sensors is not a maintenance action. You replace things you KNOW are bad, or you're going to go in circles. Especially once you discover that new does not always mean good.

bdeuce

Reaction score
nothing like throwing parts at a problem, heh? not all shops and garages are out to screw you, either. maybe at 90/hr they'll find it in an hour. maybe they'll find it in two? regardless, they'll test things and actually find out what the problem is. some shops can actually just do a diagnosis for you, if you want to save money by installing the part yourself. make some calls, or start testing those sensors. a lot of working sensors get puled and replaced.

foranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see it as throwing parts at a problem. 18 year old truck. Its called preventive maintenance. I changed out three sensors only because when I was changing the water pump I figured while the anti-freeze was out I would replace the ECT. Then I looked at the IAT and it was all gummed up so I replaced that also. The TPS sensor was cracked so I replaced that also. And just yesterday I tried replacing the Map sensor because of a intermittent rough engine idle. Since then that seems to have resoved it. Haven't had the problem since. And the last sensor that I will replace or have the garage do if I can't remove it, is replace the 02 sensor. My son works in a garage replacing tires so he gets discounts on parts. Not always on labor. Funny thing is that I got this advise from other members on the old forum. And I think it was good advise. Some of those sensors may still be working but the fact is they are still 18 years old.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals