• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ranger 2.3 Problem!!

89_2.9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey all!!,
i'm new to the site!! i have 2 89 ford rangers!! one a 2.9 v6 and my parts truck a 2.3 4 banger, now my problem is i bought the 2.3 off a buddy of mine for parts!!! the truck was running when he bought it he drove it home from the valley and around his house!! now when he went to sell it to me the truck wouldn't start!!, his dad towed it to my house and i had a chance to look at it yesterday!! the buzzer sounds if the key is in the ignition, the radio doesn't work and when u goto start it up it doesn't even turn over!! i tried boosting it and using a different battery!! still nothing!!! the wipers came on without touching the switch i also determined that under the hood fuses (alt. power #1, 50 amp, and alt. power #2, 60 amp) are being blown so i took the same fuses out of my good truck and the same thing happened blew both fuses!! i donno what is wrong and why they keep blowing?? there must be a short somewhere but where???, it was working b4 so it must be something simple!!! we also checked the alternator for bare wires to see if it was grounding out somewhere!!, had no luck!!..... so if anyone has any idea what could be wrong i'd greatly appreciate all the help i can get!!! i'd like to be able to move the truck around!!!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure on this one....old wiring is tricky. I would just say check around your truck for bare wires grounding out. Thats about the only thing a can think of. Also check the cables leading to the starter. There has to be a short to be blowing fuses like that.

Jonboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check to see if the fuse boxes both under the dash and under the hood are in good shape. I had an F 150 that had a cracked fuse box housing and it let moisture or water get into it and the corrosion on the fuse terminals was so bad it caused it to contact with the main power supply. It blew almost every fuse in the box. I was lucky it didnt catch fire because all of my wires were melted at the contact ends. That was a big mess. Thankfully I picked up the whole setup at a junkyard.

jubangy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the starter solenoid. If it was just a refular circuit shorting it would more then likely only pop the fuse for that circuit. It sounds as either the starter solenoid or something inside the alternator is foobarred.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals