• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ford ranger randomly died

BearitvRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 89 ranger that randomly died while going camping, it would not immediately restart. The total trip took about an hour and a half before it died with alot of very steep inclines.

After 10 min of checking fuses and connections/grounds it restarted after finding no obvious issues. Was also getting fuel pressure at the fuel rail

The engine was running normal temperature (I have two temp gauges) oil pressure is about 40psi. No new knocks or ticks, the engine was fully rebuilt and bored last year.

Any ideas on what could cause this issue? I'm thinking possibly fuel pump or ecu over heating. Everything except the block, crankshaft, and electrical got replaced last year so I'm kind of stumped.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989 Ranger 2.9l or 2.3l?

TFI module fits for 2.9l
ICU for the 2.3l

Both are the Spark modules and will get heat sensitive when older, not might, will
When they cool off a bit they start working again

Generally speaking when driving the air flow in engine bay keeps them cool, when you slow down or stop engine bay gets hotter and hotter, fan does keep the air moving but not like driving does

Just a guess

If you keep a can of Quick Start handy, you can spray some into the engine at the next stall and no start, the 50/50 test
If it starts and dies then it is a fuel delivery issue(pressure doesn't mean injectors are working)
If it doesn't start its a spark issue
50/50 instant results on what the issue is

BearitvRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Great information! Its a 2.9l. This happened when the truck was idling, I was watching a Tacoma try and get himself unstuck.
It really felt like a computer lost connection or overheated so I'll rip open the "tfi" and see if it has any corrosion

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Was the distributor rebuilt to?, with a functional hall effects sensor. I haven't had much luck changing TFI modules, got three and they all work. I don't do a lot of driving on the highway either. They don't fair well in the extreme heat very long. Curious as to what the issue is. Dirty

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals