• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Bronco 5.0 Into 92 4.0 Ranger

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As im sure many people have asked the questions im about to ask but the more and more i search its seems endless lol. I have the need for speed (Blown head gasket & low compression) for say and wanted to challenge myself by swapping the 5.0 into the ranger. I have the whole project layed out and what all comes with it, just very iffy on wiring. When i bought the engine the previous owner said it came out of a automatic bronco. I saw that some of the harness is different. I was able to get access to the ford repair manual but not much luck with converting wires. Biggest question i have is how many wires will need to be spliced into the ranger harness. Fairly young in turning wrenches so any help/wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What transmission will you use? And do you know the year of the engine/wiring?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Ranger engine harness is almost totally replaced to use the A9L or A9P (automatic) computer/ECM if you are going to go with fuel injection. The best thing to do is buy the original wiring manual (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) from Ebay most likely. I used a wiring harness from a 1989 Marquis which used the same computer as the mustang and others. That required a lot of splicing since the computer in the Merc was on the driver side versus the passenger side on the Ranger. This site: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ has lots of information on the wiring that will help you. The Harwood Ranger EFI V8 Conversion Manual is very helpful for the process and spells out most of what you need to know. When I bought it it was $25. Worth the money! If you are going with a carb it is a lot simpler but I like having the EFI.

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What transmission will you use? And do you know the year of the engine/wiring?
Plan is to use a T5 tranny. The Engine is out of an 89 Automatic Bronco. My plan is to go to the junkyard to get a manual transmission harness with the computer. If i use the bronco computer in the ranger how what else would i need to wire into the harness?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you want less wiring, pull the EFI off and put a intake and carb on it. You will have to regulate your ranger's fuel pump down if you want to keep using it, or just swap the tank out for a older model that had a carb.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals