• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 2.9l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an 89 and I am have brake booster issues. I bought a new booster from Napa and it went out a month later. I just bought the truck and the person before me gutted the cats and placed a 1 in dual out flow with turn downs on it. With the booster out I still have to drive it as it is my only mode of transportation. But I began to smell fuel last week and now I am noticing fuel coming from the vacuum port on the intake. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am afraid the fuel is the reason behind the booster going out. Thanks

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I have an 89 and I am have brake booster issues. I bought a new booster from Napa and it went out a month later. I just bought the truck and the person before me gutted the cats and placed a 1 in dual out flow with turn downs on it. With the booster out I still have to drive it as it is my only mode of transportation. But I began to smell fuel last week and now I am noticing fuel coming from the vacuum port on the intake. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am afraid the fuel is the reason behind the booster going out. Thanks
Napa has a lifetime guarantee on most of the parts I can't imagine a booster going bad new, although I had one that had a bad push rod connection, it's not real difficult to change out, you don't actually have to disconnect any brake lines but we did the master cylinder also, do yourself a favor get a new brake pedal switch while you're in there.
I would just ask you to be more specific what issues are you actually having? maybe the vacuum line is disconnected or leaking?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi,
If you can, post a picture of the vacuum port that fuel is coming out of. Most likely your fuel pressure regulator [FPR] has ruptured a diaphragm. A sign the diaphragm has ruptured is fuel in the vacuum line connected to the FPR. It is pretty easy to change out with the correct tools. This shouldn't affect the booster. There may be 2 separate problems.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hope this helps

Thanks for the time. Found out that the booster was bought from Oreillys instead of Napa. It leaks from the bottom.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Floored nailed it. Your fuel pressure regulator has failed and is dumping fuel into the vacuum system. Brake boosters don't like to be full of gasoline.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In the first pic, the upper right looks like the FPR. Is there a vacuum line connected to it? If so pull the line and check for gas- eyeball and smell. From your description of fuel in the line this will be the culprit.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks

Thanks for the help. Im going to pick one up on the way home.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pick up a fuel line disconnect tool at the same time, and a can of wd40 or equivalent. Spray the fuel line connector to dislodge any grit accumulated. It can be a bitch to get the line off when dirt gets in and clogs the retaining spring.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just an update. Do to an illness, I was just able to get the fpr and booster changed. So far everything is running great. Did not need the fuel line tools though. The fpr has a small clamped hose that comes with it. Once again thanks for your help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals