• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger wont start, please help

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Okay, so at this point, the starter IS actually turning the engine over? Or does nothing at all happen when you turn the key or bypass/jump the solenoid?

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
when i connect the two bolts on the solenoid it sparks, when i turn the key nothing happens. radio and dash have power, new ignition switch, new solenoid, new starter(unless I damaged it when i jumped the solenoid and it wouldnt cut off until i disconnected the battery, this was about 30 to 45 seconds because i was not prepared for it, obviously i got a new solenoid after but i didnt swap the new starter because i didnt think this would cause damage but let me know if im wrong), tried starting while jumping the battery and making sure it was getting over 12.5V. , even tried bypassing the clutch pedal switch(if im doing it correctly)while battery was hooked up to another car. battery terminals are fairly new and clean, I even shaved some off and made sure connections are good, the wires for the grounds and the positive going to the starter seem intact and in good condition as far as I can tell.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Ok i drive the same truck as you daily so post up pics of your underhood ill post up some of mine and compare mine always fires

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Ok so here on my truck there is positive runnin from my solenoid on the side closest to tge firewall then it runs to the back of my starter and i have a ground that goes from one starter bolt to that common ground im pointing to on the frame (previous owner made it) and that should be what you need there to get it to turnover

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
If it still wont fire after you get that setup goin check the grounds that come from the battery to the frame maybe even add one more to the frame

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sean posted in the 4 banger section (or PM) that he finally got the truck started and it was the wire back to the ignition that was on the wrong post (after cleaning everything).

So the truck was running as of this morning...but those pics might come in handy...along with some of the solenoid configuration and put it all into a post for submission...:)

I was going to do that with my truck but sold it before I got that far.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Ok i can take some better ones and put it together in one thread then a mod can organize it how they see fit

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Thanks for the update, Mark. Kid fixed one trouble, but caused another. I've done that enough times so that when something screws up near where I'm working. Thats the first thing I look at. So what do you think the kid spent on parts he didn't need ? I can tell you stuff in 30 seconds, that took me thirty yrs to learn. Throwing parts at a car isn't the way to fix it. is one of the lessons.:D

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ok i can take some better ones and put it together in one thread then a mod can organize it how they see fit

That would be great and probably very helpful to anyone who dives into something and tears it apart without taking pics beforehand. I've done that a few times and my last project just took too long to complete so I forgot how I tore it apart when it came time to put it together.

I scrounged around for a day or two before I found a suitable picture of how the main harness fed through the engine bay over to the solenoid and I made a mental note to document it with photos. I ended up having to sell in a hurry when I moved so there was no time to do everything I wanted to do.

I know with the photobucket fiasco it disrupted plenty of posts but hopefully we can get by that :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the update, Mark. Kid fixed one trouble, but caused another. I've done that enough times so that when something screws up near where I'm working. Thats the first thing I look at. So what do you think the kid spent on parts he didn't need ? I can tell you stuff in 30 seconds, that took me thirty yrs to learn. Throwing parts at a car isn't the way to fix it. is one of the lessons.:D
You're welcome Andy...:)

My specialty is trying to fix more than one thing at a time and messing everything up...I eventually learned to fix and check one thing at a time and not disrupt anything in the process...

Last edited:

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I watch a YouTube channel called "South Main Auto". Eric O. is a diagnostic genius and shares his methods and insights on repairing all sorts of car issues. He uses both professional equipment and "regular tools" to show how to fix it right. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to fix their stuff right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals