• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 Ranger Sleeping Platform/Camper Build

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone. I thought I'd share this with the forum since I think it's kind of a neat concept and I've seen some other builds like it before. My wife and I are taking a camping trip this summer across the US (to go to Denver to see Iron Maiden, among other things), and I happened across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO87kCU5lvU

I thought that would be a neat idea, so I went ahead and built one of my own.

Here's what I started with. The truck had a duraliner in it, and I knew in order to make things easier on myself, that baby had to go, so I ripped out the liner and put the topper back on.

First step was to make the rail supports. For these, I used 2 pieces of 3/4" sanded plywood 13 inches high and 72 inches long.

Next I built a right-angle support anchored to the tailgate end of the support rail. The idea was to make the whole unit fit tight against the inside of the box, to eliminate the need to drill any holes into the truck itself for mounting.

After I got the support in place, I attached the rail piece that the sleeping panels would actually slide on. I used a piece of 2X2 for this.

The next few pieces were two more supports for the right hand rail. The one closest to the cab was basically the same design as the one I put on by the tailgate, but the one near the wheel well was just a couple pieces of 2X2 oriented so the weight was borne by the top of the wheel well itself.

I repeated the process on the left side, and braced the two halves with a piece of 2X4 right behind the cab.

For extra support and to keep the rails tight against the truck, I braced the middle with a second 2X4, being careful to keep it at the same level as the slide rails to make sure they could still slide out.

Next move was to actually cut the sleeping panels. I had some problems here because the 13X72 rail pieces were actually slightly warped, making some sections of the bed wider than others. So my kinda half-assed solution was to just cut the pieces narrow enough to fit, but wide enough so they'd still sit on the rails. Then I secured the cargo compartment lids on the sides with some cabinet hinges for easy opening.

Closeups of the hinge assembly.

The completed project. A little rough and not nearly as polished as the one in that guy's video, but everything works, lays flat, and most importantly, supports the weight it will need to support with two people sleeping in it.

I had a ton of wood left over, so I threw together this, to solve my lack of a place to put my drink when I'm driving. (Damn bench seat with a manual tranny makes for zero cupholders...)

Next steps:

- Put in a thin mattress and bedding
- Sand some of the rough edges
- Drill holes in the sleeping panels to use as handles for removal

EDIT: Here's a video of yours truly giving an overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQLT_H1qfrc&feature=youtu.be

That's about the size of it. Rate/hate/let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You did a better job than me trying to describe one of these.I tried to explain this on another thread had everyone confused.The ones that i've been around were covered in carpet though.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I thought about carpeting it, and I still might, but I figure it's going to be covered by either a thin mattress or some sleeping pads anyhow, so what am I really gaining by carpeting it, other than looks maybe.

And I know what you mean about trying to describe it....nearly everyone I've tried to explain it to (without actually showing them) didn't really get it.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I saw this in YouTube! Great build. I'm using it for reference. I think I will want to try and use rollers and a long drawer for the center section. We will see, since I don't do wood work. :-( I liked the fused connections.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals