• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88' Ranger Slave Cylinder Not Engaging Pressure Plate

WhiteBread16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

So as the title says, the problem with my Transmission is that the Slave Cylinder won't engage the Pressure Plate fingers enough to free up the Clutch. Well here are all the details to where we're at now.

First off, my old transmission pooped out so we got a rebuilt one and put it in. Truck ran great for about a couple weeks, then it just wouldn't allow me to shift into gear. Well I am able to shut the truck off and shift into all gears but I can't shift while it's running. So put her on the lift, and took the trans out. Replaced the Slave Cylinder, Master Cylinder, Throwout Bearing, Clutch, and Pressure Plate. Followed the proper bleeding instructions, and did both a bench bleed and bled the line from the master down to the slave. Truck still will not allow me to shift into gear while it's on.

Now to today, I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem, but I went out and bought a new Hydraulic Clutch Line (figure the old one my have some debris or blockage in it) since that's about the only thing we never changed. The reason I think this may help, in my mind, is that if there is some blockage in the line, yea fluid will get through (enough to push the Slave Cylinder out) but not enough for it to fully engage. I'm honestly hoping that this will solve our problem, considering the system has been bled multiple times and my grandfather has even talked to professionals from Perfection Clutch.

So if anyone has any helpful tips or any insight on this problem I seem to be having, I greatly appreciate you're help and advice. Thanks and I hope I get to get my truck back... I miss her... :/ haha lol

yourdudeness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bleeding 88 clutch

if any tells you this is fun job it isn't some time it's hard too get all the air out but there are a few tricks i have often used the the 2.9 sucking power to bleed the system brakes & clutch tap in to intake manifold 3/16 id hose or what ever you have laying around that will work,,,, 4 or 5 feet hose and use the engine vacuum to pull the fluid out no pumping the pedals please not do this inside it will SMOKE as for the converter in the exhaust system well my truck is used for off road use only and it fell off some time ago yourdudeness

Merrill

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Had a similar problem and I will tell you what worked for me. First replacing the hose from master to slave is a good idea, even if it is clear it could be swelling and losing some of the movement to the pressure plate. I filled an old school pump oil can with brake fluid, has to be a new one, take the resorvoir off and after wrapping the tip of the oil can with teflon tape to make up the size difference put it in the hose that goes to the master.
Now open the bleeder screw and attatch a clear tube to some type of container, as you pump the oil can it will force fluid through the system, the hose will let you see any bubbles as the come out. If it seems like it isn't pumping you probably don't have the bleeder open enough. I only saw 3 to 4 bubbles and it was the difference between not shifting and working fine. Hope it helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals