• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger pulls HARD in hot weather

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys. I've been having this problem pretty much for the past two years. Whenever it gets hot outside (75 degrees or above), or whenever I do stop-and-go driving for long periods of time, my truck will start to pull to the right really hard. I have a very strong feeling that it is a brake related pull. It gets so bad that I have to physically hold the steering wheel in place to the point that my arm gets tired. If I come to a complete stop and let off the brake pedal, my truck won't move, as if I still had my brakes on. If I gas it a bit, it will move, and my steering wheel will start turning to the right. If I let off again, it will come to a complete stop again on its own. If I drive it around like this, I can actually smell something burning (I believe it to be the pads, but I have very little sense of smell due to severe sinusitis), and my right front wheel gets so hot I can't even touch it. Also, as I'm driving and it is pulling, when I step on the brakes to slow down or stop, it actually pulls in the opposite direction. I really have no idea what else could cause this other than the right front brake assembly (I suspect the brake hose, it's the original), but I've asked a few different people with brake experience and none of them seem to agree. Any thoughts? With summer coming up, this is going to start becoming worse and worse, and I really hate driving it like this. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback =].

InsaneRedRooster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm no expert but do you have rear drums? I would start there pull everything apart and make sure its all good

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yup, rears are drums and just recently re-done. Shoes, wheel cylinders, full hardware kit (including parking brake kit)... completely cleaned and re-greased, drums turned. Rears are in better shape than fronts, at this point. Not saying there might not be an unseen issue, but it'd be a surprise if there was.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Right front caliper I would suspect.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Mine was doing something similar.

This is why.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, I'll have to pull it off and check that out. I think I vaguely remember seeing a similar crack or chunk missing, but it was small. Are those plastic pistons the only ones they offer for Ranger calipers? I know they aren't plastic, but it's some kind of weird material that I've heard nothing but bad things about.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Phenolic pistons really aren't that bad. They don't corrode up like metal ones do, which means the caliper doesn't seize up as fast when you don't change the fluid. They will do unpleasant things like crack when they get over heated though.

I'd pull the front wheels, see which rotor is burnt to a dark blue crisp (probably the right since you said that wheel gets very hot), then throw 2 new rotors, a set of good quality (Napa Gold or better) on it, and a new caliper on the side that is burnt up. Be sure to get new pins and clean the grooves on the knuckle really well with a tooth-brush sized wire brush as well.

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also if you have aluminum rims the rim usually gets so hot that it discolors it. I know mine was almost yellow when my caliper locked up.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, my rims are factory 15x7's off an explorer (I think?), so I believe those are alloys. Haven't had trouble with discoloring yet, anyways. The rotors aren't discolored yet, either, at least not bad enough to notice at first glance. They're just "whitebox" rotors, so I'll do the whole thing with good NAPA stuff whenever I have the cash. I'm just trying to figure out this retarded pull before I do the rest of the stuff. I already replaced both front calipers when I first got it due to the PO complaining of the brakes locking up on one side. Wasn't sure which side, but when this came back I was wondering if it was the same one as before. Led me to think maybe it was the hose, not the caliper. Once I get some time I'll pull it off and look at it.

I'm looking to lift this truck in the near future, and I'd like to put some stainless steel braided lines on it for the extra length. Can anyone recommend a good pair? Only looking to lift 2-3 inches or so. Figured with new brake lines and calipers, the pull should stop. I hope.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd swap out the flex lines asap...with that new hardware it should have cleared up (ask me how I know this...lol)

Adding brake grease to the caliper pins helps immensely too...which I didn't know about until much later...not sure about braided lines for added length...although I've seen quite a few mentions of it over the years...

Last edited:

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, it was really bad today. It would immediately swerve into the next lane if I let go for even a second. I think I'm going to just swap in a caliper for now (like 10 bucks from autozone), and hope that helps. I don't want to replace the hoses with oem ones, since I'll need longer ones after the lift.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yours might be just a bad caliper...sounds worse than mine was...

My brakes would stick but then release after a while (might have been wearing the pads down enough to free it up) but even after changing out new calipers and pads and greasing the caliper retainers it would stick...so I had just dumped about $300 worth of parts (the calipers were very expensive at $100 each back then) I still had the same problem...

Flex lines can act as a one-way valve when they deteriorate inside...someone on here suggested it and it fixed mine...haven't had a problem with them in five years...three of which my Ranger sat waiting for my next paycheck to eat...

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, I've heard horror stories about the flex lines, that's why I want to replace mine with something better quality that I wont' have to worry about any more, haha. The weird thing about mine is that it's only when it's hot outside, and it gets worse and worse the more I drive, until It's so bad I feel my truck struggle to accelerate because of all the drag. Fortunately I only drive 10 miles for work (round trip), so I don't have to worry too much now. I just hate being worried about driving my truck, I like to just relax and enjoy it. Cruising my Ranger around town is seriously like paradise for me, heh.

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Alright everyone, was finally able to replace the caliper today. When I picked it up from autozone (lifetime warranty for the win), I noticed that the piston looked different. Seems the ones they give now have steel pistons, instead of the phenolic ones. So, free upgrade? So far it seems ok, but the weather had already cooled down to around 65 degrees by the time I got to test drive it. So I guess at this point only time will tell. I have a pretty good feeling it will end up being the hose on that side, so I guess we'll see, hehe. It actually grabbed so hard the other night that my rears broke loose during our summer rain... really hope this fixes it.

CJzBlack93RNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One thing to keep in mind if you have a pull thats being caused by a brake related problem the issue causing the pull is 'usually' on the opposite side.
If it pulls right, generally the left side's caliper piston froze up, or the left caliper slides froze up, or bad brake line.
It just never said what side you replaced / inspected.

I've heard alot of people say their cars pull during either hot or cold weather could be a hydraulic issue but good way to be sure is go to harbor frieght buy a infared heat probe gun. There cheap and always on sale for 29.99.
Drive your car for like 20 mins to a half hour and probe all 4 brake rotors and calipers or rear drums whatever u got.
Obviously Hottest area is your issue :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals