• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ranger , now cranks but no start

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the other day I started my 88 Ranger,with a 2.9 liter engine, granite for a half hour ran slightly rough because it has a header leak, went to start it the other day and ran for 30 seconds progressively getting worse stalled, went to started yesterday and it just would not startI did swap the computers because I have two spares. would love to hear anybodys expert opinion.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Computers rarely fail, not never but it certainly isn't a common problem, and pretty much the last thing you would try, even if you do have extras.

You don't have much to go on, so I would first do the 50/50 test

Remove Power brake hose and put some gas or spray some starting fluid(ether) in the hose/intake, then put hose back on.

Try to start engine
If it starts then dies, fuel is your problem.
If it doesn't start then Spark is your problem.

50/50

Do you hear the fuel pump come on and run for 2 seconds when key is first turned on, it isn't quiet, just listen for it by turning key on and off and on again.

Last edited:

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply, I just now had time to start working on it again. upon checking the oil I noticed something for the second time that this truck will not start. when I checked the oil it was extremely thin and I know I put Lucas additive in it. not to mention the oil level has risen 2 probably about 3/8 to a half inch above the mark. I think with the oil being thin and 140000 miles on this engine that compression is my problem if I change the oil right now I guarantee the truck will run great. again this is the second time it's been in this situation. its not tagged or on the road yet but I'm trying to get it there. the major question right now I think is why is so much fuel mixing into the oil. and despite the header leak the truck actually runs pretty well. so just let me know...

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Does it have a mechanical fuel pump on it ? if so and you are getting fuel in your oil,it could have a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump which can cause fuel to leak into the crankcase of your engine.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does it have a mechanical fuel pump on it ? if so and you are getting fuel in your oil,it could have a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump which can cause fuel to leak into the crankcase of your engine.
No, the 88 2.9l has dual electric pumps; a lift pump in the tank and a high-pressure pump in the frame under the cab.

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Despite , how much time, love ,and money I've put in this truck, bought it not running, invested about $700, so truck does now run, plus I've redone quite a few , things such as rear brakes, rust control,and etc. my girlfriend went out and bought me a truck, so now she wants me to put this one up for for sale, I feel like i'm leaving behind a wounded war buddy. this truck is to close to being complete . https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/5359905773.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals