• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger code 41 *solved*

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Here's a wiring diagram for the '89 2.9. For some reason it doesn't show pin 49 connected with the O2 sensor.
View attachment 57272

This page is from the Ford "Engine/Emissions Diagnosis" manual that you use with a breakout box. You'll see in the diagram that pin 49 is the O2 (HEGO) ground wire (that goes to the back of the passenger side head as I mentioned before). If fixing this ground doesn't solve the code 41 issue, you should read the rest of the page, and the note on "HG16" of the following page also.
View attachment 57273
View attachment 57274
Thanks, that is really helpful. It looks like the wire to pin 49 needs to go to ground.
I repinned the connector to match what I saw on the schematic I got from the site, and now the injectors won't squirt. I will change it back and ground pin 49 and see if it will start.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
This is getting a bit weird now. The injectors don't seem to be working. The engine will run if I squirt fuel into the intake, so definitely it is a fuel issue. The pressure gauge reads 40 PSI. I put a Noid light on and it flickers. If I ground pin 59&58 it shoots fuel in and will run until it is gone. I have also put the ECU into my 89 ranger and it runs like a champ. I have checked Pins 20, 40, & 60 on the ECU harness and they all go to ground, I also grounded pin 49 as shown in the attachment from Paulos.

I'm running out of ideas here, any help?

Thanks

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have 40 PSI at the fuel rail, and the noid flickers when you run the engine by manually putting gas into the throttle body, that would indicate to me that the injectors are clogged. The 40 psi says the injectors are getting fuel, and the flickering noid says that the ECM/ECU is sending the signal to the two banks of injectors. That only leaves the injectors. You didn't use a silicone based grease on the fuel injector o-rings, did you? Silicone grease can/will clog the injectors.
Did the injectors work before you connected pin 41 to ground? If so, disconnect it and try running the engine. All the manuals and Ford service literature that I have show a 3-wire O2 sensor, but they are clearly 4-wire. The schematic doesn't make sense, as it shows the O2 sensor ground (49) totally separate from the O2 sensor (?). I would think that one wire is 12 volts + for the internal heater, another wire going to ground for the heater (this wire should go to the back of the passenger side head), another wire (29) is a + signal wire to the ECU, and the last wire would be the O2 sensor ground/- (49). This is how I have always understood the way it's wired.
If disconnecting the ground that you connected to pin 49 makes your injectors work again, then I would think the above description is correct. But the best way to tell is to trace the O2 sensor wiring on your working '89 to be certain where the 4 wires are going. If it wasn't dark outside I'd crawl under my truck and trace them out because now I'm curious :).

I've attached another page I missed the last time that has some useful info regarding code 41 and 42.
And here's a link that I think supports my thinking on how the O2 sensor is wired. See the diagram at the bottom of the page.
20210326_202326 cropped.jpg

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you should have a common colored wire feeding all the injectors. This is the 12v + wire coming from the EECIV relay. Make sure you have a solid 12v on this wire when you are cranking it over.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
@Paulos,
I don't think the injectors are clogged, I pulled them out and checked & cleaned the inlet screens. Also the injectors squirt fuel when I manually ground pin 58 & 59 on the ECU. I have tried it with pin 49 grounded and disconnected. My 89 only has 3 wires in the harness that goes to the O2 sensor. I will try to trace out the wire from pin 49 and see where it goes..

@franklin2,
I checked the wire on the +12V side of the injector, the other day, when cranking and it read 8-9 V. Is that too low for the injectors to work. The truck cranks over great. I will test the voltage at the battery while cranking in the morning.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
8-9v might have been your voltage at cranking at the battery also. I would think that would be enough to get them opened during starting.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I actually had the fuel rail out and replaced all the injectors with an old set. While cranking the engine there was some fuel spurting out of the injectors. I put the engine back together and still no start.
So I ran the KOEO tests again and got a code 22 which pointed to the MAP sensor. I pulled the MAP out of my 89 and plugged it into the 88 and it fired right up. It also seems to be running correctly now and not missing. I ordered a new MAP sensor which should be in on Thursday. If it seems to run good with the new MAP I will put the new injectors back in and see what happens. Hopefully this will turn out to be the problem and this will become drivable.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved!!
MAP sensor replacement solved the no start issue.
It also needed a new O2 sensor, and TPS that output 1.0 volts at idle. I was able to pass emissions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals