• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88' Ranger 302 swap help

306deranged

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, im new to the site and im in need of a little help...I have a 1988 Ford Ranger I have been working on for about 4 months now...so far Ive done alot of body work, a set of weld draglites, a 8.8 out of a 91' and a 302 ho from a 1994 mustang gt. The motor is not in yet im getting it bored 30 over and want to put new heads on it before install it, and i switched from efi to carb with a edelbrock performer and holley carb....my queston is TRANSMISSION!!! Im so confused about them...I want a c4 but which bellhousing do i need, which flywheel? Torque Converter? Im terrible at drivetrain knowledge, any help would be appreciated as im trying to get this finished in memory of my grandpa

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good!
Bellhousing will depend on which one you find, lol...
You'll want a matching flexplate, either 157 tooth or 164 are the most common.

306deranged

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
kk thanks...i found a hays flexplate on jegs for 80 bucks its a 157 tooth with a 50oz counterweight and c-4 10.5 pattern so im hoping this will work...i just hate to buy something that wont fit, balance, or engage right.

306deranged

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nope dont have a tranny yet...i just dropped my motor off today at the machine shop to replace cam bearings, bore it 30 over and put studs in the heads so i can put on 1.6 roller rockers so it will be easier to adjust valves...as soon as i get it back ima start looking for one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals