• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger 2.9 fuel pressure issues??

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I hope no pieces of porcelain fell in to the cylinder.. Be very careful when putting a new plug in that cylinder. Be sure to guide it straight in to the threads, so you don't accidentally knock a small piece of porcelain in to the bore..

I doubt that would cause your issue completely, but it certainly can't help anything. I've been wrong before though! lol

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright fellas... Completed the compression test. My results are as follows...
1. 165psi
2. 170 psi
3. 154psi
4. 149psi
5. 168psi
6. 150psi
Again... My number 3 spark plug porcelain was broke as I pictured in my last post (video). Please let me know what you all think. Thanks again fellas!
@PetroleumJunkie412 @Bird76Mojo @Paulos

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Those numbers don't seem to be that bad for an engine with some mileage on it. I know they're supposed to be within a certain percentage of each other, and I'm not sure on those exact numbers, but at a cursory glance, they look fine to me. #4 seems a little low when compared to #2 but that could be valve sealing issues from carbon build-up, etc..

Put the new plugs in it and see what happens on a test drive. Let us know.

Have we tried unplugging the MAF once it starts running crappy to see if there is any change?

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@Bird76Mojo
I'm putting new plugs in it today and I'll test drive it and if it does act up again... I'll unplug the MAF and let you all know the results. Thanks again fellas!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Dang, One step forward and two steps back. Sorry to hear that man.

Are you double triple sure your firing order on the plug wires is correct? It idled really well and sounded smooth when you first started it??

In your video, I can't really tell where the smoke is coming from, but surely it's burning oil that's leaking from somewhere???

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dang, One step forward and two steps back. Sorry to hear that man.

Are you double triple sure your firing order on the plug wires is correct? It idled really well and sounded smooth when you first started it??

In your video, I can't really tell where the smoke is coming from, but surely it's burning oil that's leaking from somewhere???
@Bird76Mojo @PetroleumJunkie412
@Paulos
Alright guys, please see the attached video. Let me know what you think. Thanks again fellas!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The two 1.5" diameter tubes are for warming up your intake air when its cold out. There should be a flex pipe that connects the 2, but its not critical especially in summer.
The smoke seems to be coming from the airbox. I'm not sure what would cause that, maybe a burnt valve? Back firing? You mentioned that it runs real hot when the symptoms are occurring, that is a sign of it running lean. Another symptom of lean running is backfiring.
Sorry, I came to this thread late and haven't read the whole thing. Have the o2 sensors been changed?

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The two 1.5" diameter tubes are for warming up your intake air when its cold out. There should be a flex pipe that connects the 2, but its not critical especially in summer.
The smoke seems to be coming from the airbox. I'm not sure what would cause that, maybe a burnt valve? Back firing? You mentioned that it runs real hot when the symptoms are occurring, that is a sign of it running lean. Another symptom of lean running is backfiring.
Sorry, I came to this thread late and haven't read the whole thing. Have the o2 sensors been changed?
@alwaysFlOoReD @Bird76Mojo @PetroleumJunkie412
The smoke isn't coming from the airbox. It's coming out of the pipe I refered to in my last video. I just rechecked my timing and I'm hearing this sound about 1 minute after I turn it off. It's like a little horn. Ya gotta listen carefully. Please see video below and let me know what you think. Thanks fellas!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
V
@alwaysFlOoReD @Bird76Mojo @PetroleumJunkie412
The smoke isn't coming from the airbox. It's coming out of the pipe I refered to in my last video. I just rechecked my timing and I'm hearing this sound about 1 minute after I turn it off. It's like a little horn. Ya gotta listen carefully. Please see video below and let me know what you think. Thanks fellas!
Vacuum pressure releasing from something.

Something does not sound normal when running.

Would it be possible to shoot a video with the same audio quality and have your accessory belt drive items disconnected?

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
V
Vacuum pressure releasing from something.

Something does not sound normal when running.

Would it be possible to shoot a video with the same audio quality and have your accessory belt drive items disconnected?
@PetroleumJunkie412
This sound is new. I didn't hear it before. Sorry for the new question but what are the accessory drive belt items? I will gladly get you another video. Thanks brother.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
@PetroleumJunkie412
This sound is new. I didn't hear it before. Sorry for the new question but what are the accessory drive belt items? I will gladly get you another video. Thanks brother.
Alternator, power steering, and air conditioning if equipped. Anything that's belt driven off the front of the engine.

All you need do is slack off the tensioners and remove the belts

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alternator, power steering, and air conditioning if equipped. Anything that's belt driven off the front of the engine.

All you need do is slack off the tensioners and remove the belts
@PetroleumJunkie412
So take both belts off or unplug the electrical connections? Just want to be sure I get ya what your asking for. Thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take off belts.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I couldn't make out the sound in the video. It's just too quiet I guess. As for the oil leak, I wouldn't sweat that right now..

I agree with AlwaysFloored about it more than likely being a lean condition, I just wish I knew why.

Other than the possibility of a bad O2 sensor or coolant temperature sensor, I'm at a complete loss here.

I still wish I was closer. I'd try a homemade smoke tester on it just to rule out vacuum leaks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals