• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 Merkur XR4Ti whole donor

jcastilow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '94 2.3 ranger. I have been reading a lot of turbo forums and build threads but am having trouble getting the "complete picture".

Near me in Columbus, OH is a 1988 Merkur XR4Ti, LINK HERE. I understand this has about ~135 hp and for some would be a less desirable swap than the turbocoupe swap. Hopefully, the price is negotiable and it has the added bonus of having the whole donor car.

Now, my question is this: with the whole donor car and wanting to make the swap as easy as possible (but still being quality). Can someone provide a brief rundown of what would need to be done? Then, I can explore those topics in depth on my own.

Could I simply take the engine, computer, and wiring harness out of the merkur and use those? I have zero problem deleting the AC out of the ranger - it doesn't work and hasn't in years. Also, I see the clutch may need changed because of an issue with splines?

I just see lots of info on re-pinning the EEC, LA3 this and that, manifolds, headers, etc. But with the whole car does any of this apply to me?

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance,

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Free bump.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't have experience with XR4TI engines, but I think the bones are the same... if anything I think the power is from a different turbo or something.

For wiring and front end accessories I would keep the Ranger setup, it'll all bolt on and serpentine is nicer to deal with than V belts... The Ranger wiring will work fine except the ignition system, you either need to repin for a distributor or drill/tap the block for the crank sensor. From there it's swapping the pigtail from the MAF to the one for the VAM and a few other things (there's a pinout for a '91 in the tech section, same as yours and I believe diagrams for both big and small VAM turbo computers), study both to find what to repin, I think there's around 10 wires that move. If the Ranger harness has a fuel pump verification signal thing going to the ECM remove that wire, it is the same location as the octane switch and can cause a lot of pinging...

As far as clutch, use a stock Ranger clutch for now, might as well go new at first to save time. If you want to put a little more money into the clutch so it will last for a LONG time and hold very well get a Centerforce stock replacement friction disc and the pressure plate with weights, it's around $350 as opposed to around $120 for a stock replacement but well worth it, more so on my 4x4 going offroading than a 4x2 street truck but still...

The custom parts are exhaust, modifying the heater box to get away from the turbo outlet, and figuring out the air filter.

jcastilow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help, Scott. Good to know it's all about the same.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You can mix and match all sorts of stuff just off of the two engines you have, for instance the Ranger roller cam is a reasonable upgrade for the turbo engine, I've heard the twin plug heads flow a little better... intake manifolds don't swap between the heads though...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals