• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 leaking oil terribly

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,

About a month ago, I was given a 88 ranger. It has a 2.9 v6. I had to take out the old 5 speed because it was busted and put in a new one off an explorer and has been working super. My question is, the truck is leaking oil horribly. Every time I drive, there is a circle 6 inches to a foot wide of oil. Obviously it could be many gaskets that could be the cause, but which would be the most likely? It burns oil slightly, and smokes kinda bad. The guy who gave it to me just replaced the main rear seal, so that can be crossed out. Any advice would be awesome.

Nate

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
most likely? oil pan, oil filter base, head gasket, valve cover (mainly this)... just look to see how high the oil is coming from???

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
oil pressure sending unit?

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You need to clean that engine from top to bottom several times to see exactly where it's leaking from. I don't know if it's even worth taking care of these leaks as you mentioned it's burning oil unless it's something easy like the valve covers. I would wait until you can rebuild it and deal with the issues while the motor is out. You can replace the front seal and oil pan gasket with the engine in, but they are a PITA.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna replace the valve covers tomorrow, hoping that'll be the trick. If not I'll clean it as best i can and see if I can figure where it may be coming from better. I hope i wont have to pull the engine, but i might have to.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
get rubber valve cover gaskets.. not the cork ones. they cost a little more but you'll probably thank me later.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, the fact that he just replaced the rear main would make it a good suspect. If it wasnt done right, itll leak bad.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, the fact that he just replaced the rear main would make it a good suspect. If it wasnt done right, itll leak bad.
I agree. Just need to look. If you can't find it, dye it and that will confirm if it's coming from behind the bell.

Changed a rear main in my car w/ 180K, crank was grooved pretty good, needless to say it had to come back out. That was a good lesson in "sometimes you just can't replace the seal and expect it to seal." :annoyed:

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yesterday I finally got to changing the valve cover gaskets. It took 3 of us and about 8 hours but we got it. And....it completely solved the problem:yahoo:!!!! From a foot wide puddle to not a drip. It sure as heck was a chore though. I had to take the alt and AC off along with almost all the the wiring harness. It was a puzzle haha. But it works. Thanks goodness.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yesterday I finally got to changing the valve cover gaskets. It took 3 of us and about 8 hours but we got it. And....it completely solved the problem:yahoo:!!!! From a foot wide puddle to not a drip. It sure as heck was a chore though. I had to take the alt and AC off along with almost all the the wiring harness. It was a puzzle haha. But it works. Thanks goodness.
Three guys eight hours? On one vehicle? I think it took me half the time to change the heads by myself drinking lots of beer and I was taking my time. Glad to hear that you got it done though. Now you can see how much oil it is actually burning. If it's smoking all the time you might have a cracked (or just shot to hell) piston ring(s). If it just smokes a little when taking off from a stop light or whatever then it's probably just bad valve stem seals.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its not burning anymore oil or smoking excessively since i changed the gaskets. so...im pretty sure it just was oil leaking from the valve covers onto the exhaust manifold.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals