• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ford ranger xlt Im wanting to turbo

ty112687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I know Im new Ive tried to search but have found nothing on 88 and under my truck is a 2.3l 5 speed fuel injected ranger short bed single cab. The real issues I need to address is a wiring diagram and wiring in a vam and ecu stuff I found a complete 88 turbo coupe engine with turbo and intake and exhaust manifold with turbo the only thing is the head is bad and Ill prob just throw my ranger head on it with a good head gasket all I need help with is finding parts and how to wire in and do all the electrical for an 88 please help thanks

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What parts are you having trouble finding? Most everything you will need is at Autozoo.

An 88 is really easy. Just get a wiring diagram from a chiltons or haynes manual for your truck and compare it with a the one from a Turbo Coupe. Find which wires need to be switched to different locations and which need to be added. you'll move about 4 wires and add about 4 when plugging an LA3 from the TC into the ranger harness. I did it about 6 years ago when I was 17, and it wasn't really hard, it just took some careful thinking.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
The Ranger head has a better set of rockers than the TC head. Do you know what's wrong with the TC head? Is it cracked between cyls 2 and 3?

ty112687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
no the only thing that is wrong with the tc head is it needs a new cam and a follower the thing under the cam that pushes the valve down

ty112687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
and I need a vam with pigtail wiring need a intercooler set up and an ecu and I guess injectors. Im just wanting to run like 10lbs of boost

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
stick the ranger cam and related parts into the turbo head, it's a better cam and parts being a roller...

for running 10psi, unless you plan on doing it all day, an intercooler isn't completely necessary, I'm not running one (they didn't in T birds until '87) and on regular I don't get a ping until it's good and warm running down the freeway and occasionally hit 8psi when I goose it...

an '88 should be dang easy, pretty much just the VAM, intake air temp sensor, and boost controller added to the stock harness.

ty112687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys its been a while. I found a motor out of an 85 with 75K on it its complete I got a pc1 ecu and a vam with all the hoses and stuff. I need help tho I need a vam plug my truck already has air intake temp sensor in it. and the factory boost thing is on the engine I need help with wiring all I need is like a grid that says put this wire there and the color the excel sheets are like too complicated for me I guess but the truck is an 88 and motor is 85 ecu PC1 which I guess is 85. I really need help I want to get this thing done for a show Im going too

ty112687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh and Im wanting to run 20lbs soon or I guess what ever to make the truck run 12.5s at the drag way at bristol.

4bangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1999
Make / Model
Ford, Jeep
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo (in process), 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
stick the ranger cam and related parts into the turbo head, it's a better cam and parts being a roller...

for running 10psi, unless you plan on doing it all day, an intercooler isn't completely necessary, I'm not running one (they didn't in T birds until '87) and on regular I don't get a ping until it's good and warm running down the freeway and occasionally hit 8psi when I goose it...

an '88 should be dang easy, pretty much just the VAM, intake air temp sensor, and boost controller added to the stock harness.
88 Ranger 2.3s are not roller camshafts. You will gain nothing

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I heard some were and some weren't roller, but good catch, if it's not roller then nothing gained

ty112687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok I wont change the cam then but I still need a vam plug and wiring info. Im having to luck I just need a diagram that shows PC1 computer to 88 ranger with wiring harness. I need to know asap please help me

4bangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1999
Make / Model
Ford, Jeep
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo (in process), 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm converting an 87 4x4 2.9 v6 to 2.3 Turbo. I was lucky to find a Guy to help me with the wiring. I pulled my engine harness and sent it to him. He then wired a Turbo harness into it. Now all I have to do is plug-n-play! I hate wiring. I'm gonna do a build thread soon. Good luck! Can't wait to get mine going!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals