• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Bronco II tranny problem

clayborne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
First and foremost I would like to state that I am not sure all problems I am experiencing are related. Almost 2 years ago I had my A4DL rebuilt at a local shop. I picked up my car from the shop and it ran strong shifted well for about a week then started to buck on me and eventually seized. I not having the money to pay for another repair after just getting the transmission rebuilt let it set till I could gather the money for an engine rebuild. When I had finally sourced the money took it to a reputable engine shop they pulled the engine to rebuild it and low and behold nothing was wrong with the engine. So I basically paid the guy 400 dollars for him to tell me it was the transmission that was locked up. So I take it back to the shop tell them they screwed up. Apparently the tech who put everything back together after the rebuild didn't torque the bolts on the transmission pump and one of the had wedged between the pump and the torque converter. the torque converter had a grove worn in it but I was assured this would not affect its performance. A week later the fuel pump goes out, again being broke she sat. I changed out the pump this winter but now have a new slew of problems. While driving the transmission seems to be slipping like when going in reverse the torque converter feels like it doesn't engage till around 3,000 or 4,000 rpm, it does this in drive through all gears high rpm's low speeds. And also when the engine gets to its normal operating temp the car will stall and die when coming to a stop. My first thought was that the torque converter was bad but thought I would ask first for alternate opinions.

clayborne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
32 views and no replies is this a failure on my behalf to adequately provide information about my problems?

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I cannot answer to an automatic tranny problem...HOWEVER I too relied on others to work on my vehicle,because of work and other stuff,did not think that I could work on my on stuff,...found out I could and with alot success and personal satisfaction...Case in point had my truck serviced like you did and two weeks later my manual tranny locked up! Took to a "reputable" tranny shop ...They "vacuumed my pockets" nicely,for two months later in mid winter,same problem!! Got a Chiltons and a Haynes,tore into it myself,and with some help from one of the vendors on here,...who ABSOLUTELY refused to take one dime from me,..set me straight and after finding out that I had the wrong fluid for my tranny in it ,(it needed 80-90w,for I have an FM146,see ford used auto transmission fluid, in some trannys and gear oil in others,and in the SAME DAMN YEAR!!!),I had a Mitsi tranny NOT a Mazda which uses automatic tranny fluid...I was able to unlock it and rebuild it myself ...It has worked BETTER than new ever since,(6years),... Go to the vendors section see if one of them can clue you in ....

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot,(got long winded),...The search button at the top right of this page is your TRUE friend here,...You might say type in "A4dl problems and fixes",keep all of your questions short and to the point,....and you may find an answer/solution via "search",.......

clayborne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks I will try that was trying to take the easy way out lol. But I'm sure that someone on the board has experienced the same problem just have to dig. But yeah I can fix most problems on the truck myself but at the time I took her into the shop I was working 40 hours and going to college full time. Graduated last Friday so planning this fix on my own just need to know exactly what to fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals