• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 bronco ii 8.8 axle swap

Sailerbl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I need help. I have an 88 bronco ii. I bought a 8.8 rear axle out of a 2000 explorer. What do I need to modify to get it to bolt up. Spring perches are on bottom and not wide enough. The sway bar is on the wrong side of the axle. Did I buy the wrong axle?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know, only a Bronco II axle will bolt in. As you found out the spring perch location is different, and the angle of the pumpkin is different also in a Bronco because of the short wheelbase.

I put a ranger axle in my Bronco and found out all this the hard way like you did. What I did was go to Tractor Supply and bought some trailer axle spring perches. They had some that fit perfectly against the ranger axle. I then took a torch and cut the old ranger perches off, ground all that down, and then sat the axle in place with the new perches not welded. Got everything lined up and tightened the u-bolts down fairly snug. I then sat the weight of the bronco down on everything, and then took a jack and jacked up the nose of the rearend till it matched the old Bronco rear. The manual says the Bronco rear is nose up about 9 degrees. The Ranger axle was only like 3 degrees. Once I had that set, I tacked the perches with a welder, and then took everything apart and welded them in place. Then put it all back together. I run this setup daily to work, no problems so far.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals