• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Bronco II 2.9 Oil pan

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Grandpa just gave me this bronco and said my cousin dropped the pan to replace gasket but never finished. I think I know why he stopped.

I spent all day trying to get the oil pan off. I followed the Haynes manual guide plus removed the trans mount bolts and jacked the trans up. Motor is up about 3”-4” and hitting the firewall. I cannot get the pan off. I don’t even know where to start with removing the pick up tube and baffles. The old gasket is off except for the tabs in the rear. I cut them off flush with the mating surface and thinking about installing new gasket with rtv in the existing tab spots. Anyone got some tips to remove the pan or get the rest of the tabbed gasket out?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Since you did not start this job, I would keep working on getting the pan off. You do not know how much of the old gasket ended up in the pan and you will lose oil pressure if there is any left in there.

I have never done a 2.9 in the vehicle, but I know on some vehicles you have to reach up in there and unbolt the pickup tube. I also know on some vehicles you have to turn the engine by hand to a certain spot so the crankshaft counterweights are more clear of where you need room. Be careful, do not break the distributor against the firewall and don't jamb the fan into the shroud too much. I bet you have already taken the fan off?

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Since you did not start this job, I would keep working on getting the pan off. You do not know how much of the old gasket ended up in the pan and you will lose oil pressure if there is any left in there.

I have never done a 2.9 in the vehicle, but I know on some vehicles you have to reach up in there and unbolt the pickup tube. I also know on some vehicles you have to turn the engine by hand to a certain spot so the crankshaft counterweights are more clear of where you need room. Be careful, do not break the distributor against the firewall and don't jamb the fan into the shroud too much. I bet you have already taken the fan off?
I removed the distributor and cap before I started the work, along with intake manifold. The radiator fan shroud has been unbolted to move with the fan. Thanks for this tips. I really need help on how to unbolt the baffles and pick up tube. Seems I might have enough room now but the internals may be hanging it up. I feel like the trans and tCase need to be unbolted and slide back to make room for the pan removal.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
What am I supposed to unbolt here??

Attachments

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Another pic from front view. As you can see plenty of clearance between the pan in the block, but will not come out.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is it hanging up on the pickup tube assembly? I see it has 3 bolts. If it's hanging up on something else, don't worry about that.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Is it hanging up on the pickup tube assembly? I see it has 3 bolts. If it's hanging up on something else, don't worry about that.
It might be, but I don’t know how to unbolt it. I have the trans mount/cross member, driveshafts removed and all the trans/motor bolts removed. Forgot the TC is bolted to the flywheel. I pulled the TC inspection plate to take the bolts off and tried turning the crank by hand and it is tight! Pulled the spark plugs and poured some oil down the holes. I’ll let that sit for a week or 2 and try again.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If it was in the way, you could take the whole pump off since you have the distributor out. I see those aggravating torx screws holding it on there. The same type screws are also holding the pickup tube to the pump. Whichever would be easier to get loose IF it's in the way. There will be a driveshaft going to the pump itself that goes into the distributor. It should come out if you drop the pump down.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
P.S. The torx screws going into the block, not the torx screws holding the pump cover on.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
P.S. The torx screws going into the block, not the torx screws holding the pump cover on.
Thank you! This would save me a huge headache of removing trans then I would just have to concentrate on getting the pistons loose. Haynes says to drop the pick up tube and baffles. Would be easier getting to the 2 Torx pump bolts. Although I tried to unbolt them and it is a PITA. If I get the pump off how much are parts from the driveshaft going everywhere and will it just slide back up to reinstall? Any precision alignment?

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
If the pick up tube assembly is holding me up the trans removal will be pointless. So the 3 screws facing the front of the truck? How in the hell they expect you to get to them without suffering, that’s crazy.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Mhfco6 ,
The fasteners that hold the pick up tube and those that hold on the oil pump are tricky, even when the engine is out of the bay in an engine stand. I feel for you.

Attachments

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
@Mhfco6 ,
The fasteners that hold the pick up tube and those that hold on the oil pump are tricky, even when the engine is out of the bay in an engine stand. I feel for you.
Gas, I appreciate this info. Do you think the pick up tube or pump is keeping the pan from coming off?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If you pull the oil pump bolts... the pickup comes off with the pump.

I think you will still have trouble with transmission interference.

I've never done one of these... seems I remember people posting about it though.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I honestly think it would be easier to pull trans then get to those bolts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals