• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 4x4. Lift kit or just some bigger tires, could use some insight.

Saxon88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey yall, ive got an 88 ranger that I've been slowly bringing back to life and am at the point to start making it a little more trail worthy. I was considering installing a 2.5" lift when a coworker said I may be good just maxing out tire size. My question is does anyone know what the max tire size I can get away with is on a 15" rim is? Also if I did do a lift, how big can I go without changing the drive shaft or sway arms? Pretty new to this so any helps appreciated.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The square rangers in stock form seem to only be able to take a 29" (235/75/15) tire without much rubbing. This may be enough for you.. depends how gnarly your trails are. A 2" lift and 30" or 31" tires would be MUCH better though.. but then you run into the issue of gear ratios..

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. IMO, find a Ranger/Explorer with 8.8 and D35 with a little lower ratio that you have and pick those up. If its a parting out vehicle it may be cheaper to buy the vehicle swap the axles and resell the truck for the same price you bought it for.

Go with the 31s and small lift.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
I have 31" tires on my stock '88 4x4. The front tires only rub a bit against the rear of the fender opening when in a medium turn & hitting a small dip, in a normal turn they're OK. I did play around with several wheel options & found that a set of Alcoas (15") had the best offset to avoid rubbing. Most aftermarket wheels I tried had too much offset to the outside (positive or negative, I always get that mixed up) and absolutely would not work. Truck has stock 4.10 gears & seems to like the bigger tires - about 2000 rpm @ 55mph.

P.S. Truck is a daily driver/farm truck - no off roading.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
All good suggestions... gear ratio is really gonna play into your tire size. You don't want to end up not be able to get out of your own way... or get your wheel and tire to heavy/too much traction and start breaking stuff.

Alcoa's or a factory offset/width wheel is really the answer here. The wider and lesser offset is where you will rub. Stay 7 inch wide with a 4 1/2 in backspace. It will keep the tire working in the same area as it was designed. A bit bigger of a tire has the best chance of clearing right there.

Do some research on lifts and buy once... cry once. Or go totally budget with new springs and a bit of a washer lift. Remember when you do any lift in the front... it will mess with your camber... and these trucks don't handle the best to begin with... it will get worse.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is a page on the tech section that explains what size tires will fit on what year rangers with different types of lifts. There are even various pictures of members trucks.

I would post a link but I would have to go look for it....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals