• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 4cyl 4x4 M50D-R1 locked up...

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
I have an '88 4x4 2.3L Ranger that the tranny locked up on today... (At 70 MPH on the Interstate! Bit of a wild ride!) After cleaning my shorts and trailering my broken ride home, I'm considering how to proceed... if, when I tear the tranny down, I find that the main/output shaft is damaged beyond repair, is there a source for this part? I'm not finding one... and, if there is no source for new 4WD ones, am I assuming correctly that the small V6 tranny (guts, not case) will interchange? They appear to use the same internal parts... Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
It is an M50D-R1. I see where there's some debate on this tranny coming on '88's, but this is definitely that transmission.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If it's a 4 cylinder, it has an M5OD. Just about any part you need is still available, just takes a little searching sometimes. V6 guts will work, 4.0 transmissions have different gear ratios, 2.3/2.3.0 transmissions have what you have now.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2.3 M5OD I won’t be using. (I bought it for the case, as I am writing a tech article.). It’s 2wd, but in perfect working order.

If you care to drive, we can take the guts from it and your trans and send you home with a good working transmission for your truck, ready to install.

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
If it's a 4 cylinder, it has an M5OD. Just about any part you need is still available, just takes a little searching sometimes. V6 guts will work, 4.0 transmissions have different gear ratios, 2.3/2.3.0 transmissions have what you have now.
Thanks, that confirms what I've learned so far. The only part I've not been able to locate new/reman so far is the main/tailshaft for 4WD applications. 👍

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.3 M5OD I won’t be using. (I bought it for the case, as I am writing a tech article.). It’s 2wd, but in perfect working order.

If you care to drive, we can take the guts from it and your trans and send you home with a good working transmission for your truck, ready to install.
I appreciate the offer very much, but my understanding is it's the main/tailshaft that is unique to 4WD trannys.👍
Haven't even dropped and torn down the gearbox yet, so not sure what's broken. I'm just trying to gather as much info ahead of time so when I do dive into this I'm as knowledgeable as possible. Thanks again!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thanks, that confirms what I've learned so far. The only part I've not been able to locate new/reman so far is the main/tailshaft for 4WD applications. 👍
Might have to find a junkyard donor or two, especially if you're going to build it yourself. It helps to have a couple extras for parts or just to look at for order of assembly.

eBay, Rock Auto, Cobra Transmission, Zumbrota/USA Standard Gear are good sources for parts

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can use the mainshaft out of your trans to rebuild a good one.

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
We have several 2WD trannys in house, mine is the only 4WD. Gonna try the rebuild ourselves. We've worked on TopLoader 4 speeds and T5's, hoping this won't be too different. Appreciate all the info!👍

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The M5OD is pretty simple to work on, kinda tricky to get some of the front parts out since they have to be turned right to get out the hole (that should hopefully make sense when you get there... it's been 10 years since mine was apart) but simple... Being locked up, who knows what the problem would be...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I hope your input and main shafts have not welded themselves together. I've seen that happen several times when they run low on fluid. It's very difficult to tear down... In every case, the main shaft was junk because the pocket bearing had fused to it. Fortunately it's pretty easy to find parts for these.

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Ok, several weekends later I'm reassembling the tranny. It was the input shaft main bearing welded to the shaft. I've gotten all new bearings/races professionally pressed onto the various locations, put the tranny back together per the various manuals and diagrams I've collected, torqued the front bearing retainer on per the spec (nominally 18 lb-feet) and the tranny is so tight it won't rotate by hand... any ideas?

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
New input shaft as well, of course.

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual

RangerinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
This is what came out...:eek:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals