• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9 to 94 3.0 swap

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
have a 88 4x4 ext cab fm146 that gave problems lately, found that the head on the pass side was cracked. have a 94 4x4 stand cab m50d (runs and shifts good body , interior is totally trashed - 88 is perfect body and interior) was wondering if i could pull the engine and trans and drop into my 88. will the motor mounts, tranny mounts be the same? will use the rear ds from the 88 as length is different. and will i need to change the wiring harness?

Can these be swapped out with the engine and trans togethor or will i need to seperate them? any help would be appreciated, need to get it on the road asap.

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6, soon goin bigger :-)
Transmission
Manual
IIRC, the 3.0l doesn't have the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.8/2.9/4.0. As far as the motor mounts and such, move them over with the donor drivetrain. Best bet would be to pull it all out together and swap it into the 88, then use whichever driveshafts fit. You may need to mix and match a couple components like yokes for the universal joints (transmission output shafts/differential pinion flanges may not be the same), but none of it seems over complicated if you're good with a wrench, books and bloody knuckles. :icon_welder: Best of luck.

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
well everything seemed to work out OK. Found a Guy that had a good 2.9 engine (60,000 on rebuild) but rolled truck. He got a good m5od trans from a 97 Explorer sport and I traded him for my 94 good 3.0 engine and trans. Still a lot of work but at least I didn't have to change a lot, pretty much plug and play. Saved all of the floor plates from the 94 and all looks good. am bleeding the master and slave tommorrow and should be on the road tomorrow night if all goes well.:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals