• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9 Problems

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I was here before and I told you guys I bought this truck well I'm having problems getting it to run right. So far I replaced the distributor cap, new plugs and wires TPS IAC sensors but still the same. If you start it, it idles but sounds like it is cammed up, but idles. I set the timing and still the same, when I did that I was playing with the throttle and when you open it wide open it sounds muffled it wont idle all the way, but when you let off it revs real high and then shuts off, but will fire back up with the same results. I'm really at my wits end on this, don't really know where else to turn, so here I am. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. As always THANKS ALOT:icon_cheers:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Have you tried replacing the oxygen sensor? I can see that causing your issues.

A collapsed cat might also do that, but it's lower on the list of suspects.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When my map sensor went bad my truck did that sounded like it had a monster cam in it it was kinda cool at first but then i started getting crappy gas mileage but i would check that

jhammel85

Did it do all of this before the cap, rotor and everything else you did? How's the timing?

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
When you replaced the TPS, IAC, plugs, cap and wires, and set the timing did you reset the computer ? Did you remove the Shorting bar in the wiring harness so you could set the timing properly when you set the timing ?
Have you checked out the MAF or cleaned it yet with some CRC MAF cleaner ? ( ONLY USE MAF CLEANER )
Have you checked for vacuum leaks ?
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail ? TO do so simply pull the vacuum line running to it. If it is wet with gas inside the line or smells of gas the regulator is bad.
Have you checked all your major ground wires yet ?
If you haven't already done so, the most important thing I can tell you to help you solve this thing faster is to reset the computer 1st, if the problem comes back scan it.
An O2 sensor will more then likely come up as lean or rich bank 1 or 2.
I know you said you replaced the cap and wires but did you also replace the rotor button ?

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Really confused now

Alright guys I set the timing right, with removing the spout connector, which I didn't the first time still the same. I didn't reset the computer that is next on my list, I just changed the O2 sensor. I have not tried the MAF sensor, I will do that as soon as I go back out side, I did replace the rotor button, it's just a pain I work so I only have the weekend which is why I keep coming to the urgent section. I have been under this truck all weekend so far, and I wanna keep you guys updated. You guys have been a great help, and I greatly appreciate it fellas. As I said before I will post some pics as soon as I can, until then THANKS for your help and ideas.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I would perform a self test or a scan if at all possible if it were me before I continued any further.

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
HAHAHAHAHA Its Alive!

:yahoo:Alright guys I got it fixed, and I wanna say you guys are amazingly helpful:icon_thumby:. I played with it all the last two days and it turns out it was the MAF sensor, but at least I pretty much gave it a complete tune up LOL. But I wanted to let you all know and say a very much THANKS and Happy Easter to all of the community. THANKS AGAIN couldnt have done it with out yas.:icon_cheers:

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Good deal !

Happy Easter to you as well :)

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate the all the sensors involved in EFI but love the reliable ease of a good running EFI. Great to hear she is running good!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals