• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 2.9 - got spark, got 34# fuel pressure, still won't start

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
So I'm cruising merrily along when she just cuts off. Coast to the side, no restart - like it's trying to fire but only hits once. Rescued by bro-in-law w/ trailer. Fires up at home but only for about 20 sec, now won't run at all. Pulled a plug wire, stuck on a spare plug & grounded it - good spark. Fuel pressure gauge jumps right to 34# when cranking. Ether makes it want to crank but it just can't get there. Even stuck a spare ECM on - no change. Next move?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Bump the engine around till air tries to blow your finger off #1 sparkplug hole. Stop and then turn the engine by hand till the mark lines up with 10 BTDC on the damper pulley. Once you get the engine set to #1 TDC, make a note on the distributor cap which tower on the cap goes to #1 sparkplug. Pull the cap off. How close does the rotor line up to #1. If it's a little bit off, your timing chain may have jumped a tooth.

Reactions: gaz

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Had not thought of it jumping time - thanks for the idea. Will have to be someone younger & more nimble than me to service the distributor area. Are there people who can actually do that with the upper intake manifold in place? Another friend suggested the TFI module which of course is in that same fun location.

Update: Spun engine with coil wire disconnected, pulled two spark plugs - both dry.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Should the tach move when cranking to verify the cam or crank position sensor is working?

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
FIXED! It was the ignition (TFI) module. Really had my indie mechanic stumped for a few days. He couldn't remove the old TFI from the distributor (bolt rounded) & so bought a new aftermarket distributor w/ module already on it. Truck would run but skip erratically above idle. Second aftermarket distributor did almost same thing. He finally bought a Standard brand TFI & put it on my old distributor - problem solved!

So..............if you have spark and fuel but still no start try the TFI. Old part number is obsolete from Ford (E43Z12A297A) but MAY be superseded by part number DU2Z12A297A. Found one online for $100 after I was already running.

Photo of old TFI busted to get bolt out.
IMG_0380[1].JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals