• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.3 Weird misfire or something else? help please.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ranger has a very weird misfire problem. it all started when i was going down the road pretty much with it to the floor doing like 90 or so and it just shut off completely then i drifted to road and it fired back up but it had a small misfire ever since. Wondered if it skipped a tooth or something but not sure.

Drove it like that for a good while then just recently while going at highway speeds which is a good bit of strain on this thing im sure i notice i lost a little power and the idle is even worse then it was. Damn near sounded like a subaru.

I stopped driving it and tore it apart and installed new timing cover gaskets, seals and gave it a gates timing belt and tensioner got everything lined up keyway at 90 degrees on crank and cam on the mark with piston at top rotor at number 1 cyl. turned by hand a few times before putting back together looked good. Started it up waited a while till it was warm then set to 10 degrees with spout out then with the spout in it came to around 20ish which is i believe normal. but the damn thing still misses like crazy. idles rough enough to where shifter bounces everywhere, bed rattles and whatnot when you rev it itll smooth out somewhat but probably just because the rpms are higher.

Really looking for help on this what can i check could injector misfire really do all of this? or something else maybe? thanks for any help i appreciate it.

Kharris59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Misfire

The ignition module maybe bad, engine will run but not firing on all cylinders.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Checked for codes? Has fuel pressure been checked? Does it smoke? Use way more fuel than it should? Is the air filter clean? How about spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotary button? EGR valve stuck open? Vacuum leak? Start with the easiest/cheapest stuff first.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter air filter and even the dizzy and module arent very old at all, i doubt its a vacuum leak since it doesnt idle high or anything and the egr valve im not sure, it doesnt use excessive amounts of fuel or smoke at all...im almost wondering if somehow my timing is still 1 tooth off on the cam somehow. havent checked EGR but dont see how it would be stuck open i could check.

Im going to do a tuneup on it anyways so ill probably freshen up plugs, wires, rotor, cap filters at least. Id like to test fuel pressure but im not sure if i have a gauge anywhere.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The egr valve can stick open remember it does have exhaust going through it, and they do get carbon buildup in them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals