• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 XLT - Factory Optioned Restoration

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like undercoating on that fuel tank. Same as my truck. Real tar-like stuff. Really sticky, hard to remove, generally just a nightmare to deal with.

GB :)
I bedlined my replacement tank. :D

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I bedlined my replacement tank. :D
2 part epoxy?

If not, then you just painted it. Most bedliner products, especially the cheaper ones, are just a simple PE paint, and not any stronger or longer lasting than any other normal paint.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2 part epoxy?

If not, then you just painted it. Most bedliner products, especially the cheaper ones, are just a simple PE paint, and not any stronger or longer lasting than any other normal paint.
Puff can.

Its a little thicker than paint which I liked since it lives on a gravel road. Too thick and you get into fitment issues.

I was mainly concerned about dirt sitting on top the tank and rotting it out. It seems to hold up a lot better than plain paint for grilleguards and rollbars too.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Looking good.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks good, nice that your straps survived.
Thanks! They were fully intact...just dirty.

Looks like undercoating on that fuel tank. Same as my truck. Real tar-like stuff. Really sticky, hard to remove, generally just a nightmare to deal with.
Extremely sticky. I won't say how many hours I spent on that tank...

Looking good.
Thanks!

====================================

This truck rolled off the Louisville assembly line on Feb 4, 1987. Thirty-two years later and she's back on an assembly line of sorts...with the end more visible every day.

Everything's back together on the back end minus the spare tire carrier...still need to source a spare tire. P205/75R14 SL tires aren't as common as they once were.

From the driver's side...notice the undercoating overspray Bird76Mojo speaks of above on the back of the cab . Trying to figure out how to remove it and keep the original paint undamaged.

From the back...debating what to do with the exhaust...it now sticks out.

From the passenger side.

And the bumper's restored and ready to go back in place.

Capped off with a reminder of warmer weather just around the corner. We hit close to -50F with wind chill last week.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was fresh but I had good luck getting new bedliner off with bug and tar remover...

Have the rear bumper rechromed or what did you do?

Looking sharp as always :icon_thumby:

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is such a fun thread. Seeing the love put back into the truck makes me want to do it one day. For now, I'm rocking the Sawzall to get this damn coyote swap running.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have the rear bumper rechromed or what did you do?
Looking sharp as always :icon_thumby:
Thanks! Just cleaned and treated what I already had. Repainted all connectng parts and the portion where the ball attaches.

This is such a fun thread. Seeing the love put back into the truck makes me want to do it one day. For now, I'm rocking the Sawzall to get this damn coyote swap running.
Thanks!

=============================================================================================

I tried without success to find the right sized Goodyear tire for a spare so I went with a Kumho. Debated about using a matching wheel but chose to go with the original steel wheel to keep the originality. Everything is now complete on the frame bumper to bumper.

I also replaced the radiator and heater hoses with Motorcraft branded ones along with a Motorcraft thermostat and gasket. I think the only remaining non-Ford or Motorcraft parts on the truck are the Monroe shocks and the exhaust system from the catalytic converter back. That will be changed soon enough.

Everything back together and ready for the summer shows and cruise ins.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's to putting 2020 in the rear view and getting on with 2021. Happy New Year!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Truck looks great! I missed the posts on your chassis; it looks brand new! Love it.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
No clue...only lists it as a demonstration tape. My bet is it's mostly 80's cheese.

I'm super late to the party here but I ordered an '86 Ranger STX 4x4 as my first-ever new car/truck. IIRC, the tape had jazz on it. It was only a couple of songs, maybe 15 minutes worth in total. I'm pretty sure it was meant to help you 'dial in' the speakers (treble/bass, L-to-R & F-to-R).

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I love what you've done with your Ranger. You don't see many people restoring Rangers. I fixing up a 1992 that I just bought. I have the bed bolts removed because I'm repainting inside the bed. I was thinking about lifting the bed off and replacing the fuel pump because my Ranger has 189K miles on it and I don't know if it's the factory pump or not. In looking at the pictures of your Ranger. I don't think the fuel pump will come out with the bed off. I may have to wait until the truck is low on gas and just drop the tank.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I love what you've done with your Ranger. You don't see many people restoring Rangers. I fixing up a 1992 that I just bought. I have the bed bolts removed because I'm repainting inside the bed. I was thinking about lifting the bed off and replacing the fuel pump because my Ranger has 189K miles on it and I don't know if it's the factory pump or not. In looking at the pictures of your Ranger. I don't think the fuel pump will come out with the bed off. I may have to wait until the truck is low on gas and just drop the tank.
It'll be easier with the bed off even if the tank is partially tucked under the cab, like it is on my '85. You may still have to drop the tank but having access from above will make things so much easier, especially if you have to fight with recalcitrant fasteners.

You're going to need at least one strong person to assist with bed removal. I estimate the bed weighs about 100# but lifting it up and over the rear wheels is what's hard. If you can convince two people into helping you, even better. I put some cardboard down on a flat portion of the driveway/yard and put the bed down on it's 'nose' (the closed portion, just behind the cab). In this orientation, you can take the opportunity to (pressure) wash both the underside and inside the bed. Don't forget to disconnect the fuel filler neck and the wiring (at the driver's side rear corner, near the tailgate) before attempting removal.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On a '92 pulling the bed will be all the room you need to get to the fuel pump, easy peasy once it's moved back a bit... I'd post pics of my '90 but don't wanna mess up this thread... I've used a 2x4 under the bedrails then an engine hoist to lift up, works great when you are only one person...

That thing looks minty, nice attention to detail

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals