• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger...weird charging system issue...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
87 ranger xlt 2.9/5sp

About a month ago i got a weird surging idle when warm. Runs great cold. i pulled codes and seen a coolant sensor code, replaced that, good.

Same problem comes back...notice an O2 wire laying on the exhaust....changed that.

Still having the surging idle, i notice (by accident) the surge seems to go away or atleast get way better when i turn my headlights off. I also notice the head/dashlights dim when i turn blower fan on.

So i check the alternator output at the battery. No load im making 13.2v. Turn accesories on the meter slowly drops till its gets to 11.8 or so.

Ok, so bad alternator.

I pull the one off rusty #1 and put on...check voltage...making 13.8. Awesome. Turn headlights/blower on and it does the same thing, and same idle surge.

I ordered a new alternator, be here wed...but im not sure thats the issue. Im not 100% sure what could be causing this....even if i rev it up to cold idle RPM the volts dont come up...but the battery never dies either.

i would think a wireing issue would not just cause a slow drop to battery voltage?

Any ideas????

Oh i should also add that my gauges all read higher then they used to...sometimes...and that seems to happen with the headlights on to. I have checked the head to firewall ground and its intact and in good shape as is the battery negatives.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Glad to see you returned :icon_thumby:

So with your second alternator in place, the battery voltage still drops? I would be tempted to have the alternator tested.... load test the battery... go over all the grounds under the hood and make sure your battery cables are in good shape. Maybe you've got a really flaky wire and as it gets hot under load its resistance increases? I dunno...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Glad to see you returned :icon_thumby:

So with your second alternator in place, the battery voltage still drops? I would be tempted to have the alternator tested.... load test the battery... go over all the grounds under the hood and make sure your battery cables are in good shape. Maybe you've got a really flaky wire and as it gets hot under load its resistance increases? I dunno...
Yes im back in action. Lol. I just needed a break.

Do you know the location of any grounds for the alternator? I know my battery cables are good...and i did check the firewall ground strap.

its easy to point at the alternators being bad because they both are 35 years old...just find it weird that both would do the same thing lol.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals