• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger V8 swap gauge questions

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I don't think it's working correctly. It has never gone above the center position. Plus I know that I don't have all of the factory wires hooked up correctly.

It's charging well over 14 volts all the time. That's what I don't like about the Ron Francis alternator harness. It forces the alternator to charge all the time.

I wish I could find a voltmeter that fit the factory ammeter location and looked oem. I may just have to find a digital voltmeter and retrofit it in to that space.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The red/orange wire and yellow/light green wire are in the cab but would HAVE TO have been out in the engine bay for the amp meter to work.

No, on "changing" the Ranger Amp meter to a Volt meter, way way easier to just hook amp meter up, or just buy a digital volt meter and plug it into the Cigar lighter, seen here WITH USB hook ups, lol: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51rM0Hd8LLL._AC_SL1100_.jpg
Or hook one up under the dash
Or just put the volt meter cluster in.

I reread my previous post....it's definitely missing order of operations context.

I am saying....first.....from the gauge....run one wire right to the alternater post....and the other right to the battery post on the starter relay....equal length if possible.

Tune from there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alternator wiring has no connection to ANYTHING in the engine wiring, its self contained, only thing it needs is a 12v Key ON connection as the ON/OFF switch, the "I" wire

2G and up have 2 wires to battery positive and 1 wire to Key ON 12volt, that's it, that's all there is to it
Everything 2G and up is the same, 3 wires

You battery WILL not last as long running at over 14v charging, the "A" connection on alternator is for the "pushback" that reduces charging under 14volts after battery has been recharged
When engine is running battery is ALWAYS being charged, but best is 1 volt over "at rest" voltage
At rest is the voltage of battery after it as sat overnight and before starting engine
12.3v to 12.8v is expected
So if battery is 12.5v then alternator should put out 13.5v AFTER battery has been fast charged for 5 to 10 minutes after start up

Trace the black/orange and yellow wires, see where they go, should come across one of your Amp meter wires

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Or just put the volt meter cluster in.

I reread my previous post....it's definitely missing order of operations context.

I am saying....first.....from the gauge....run one wire right to the alternater post....and the other right to the battery post on the starter relay....equal length if possible.

Tune from there.
I thought about swapping the left side cluster for the tach model, but then I'd lose my oil pressure gauge, and that is not acceptable to me.

I have a spare ammeter from a broken cluster that I salvaged from the junkyard. I'll test your theory and wire it alt-----ammeter-----battery
but I'm sure it will smoke it without the factory shunt in place, which I'm 99% sure was in the oem alternator harness.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Alternator wiring has no connection to ANYTHING in the engine wiring, its self contained, only thing it needs is a 12v Key ON connection as the ON/OFF switch, the "I" wire

2G and up have 2 wires to battery positive and 1 wire to Key ON 12volt, that's it, that's all there is to it
Everything 2G and up is the same, 3 wires

You battery WILL not last as long running at over 14v charging, the "A" connection on alternator is for the "pushback" that reduces charging under 14volts after battery has been recharged
When engine is running battery is ALWAYS being charged, but best is 1 volt over "at rest" voltage
At rest is the voltage of battery after it as sat overnight and before starting engine
12.3v to 12.8v is expected
So if battery is 12.5v then alternator should put out 13.5v AFTER battery has been fast charged for 5 to 10 minutes after start up

Trace the black/orange and yellow wires, see where they go, should come across one of your Amp meter wires

Since the truck is molested and old and the charge harness is as well..I would just start fresh. Though....I agree...at the apron they are probably fine and I would jumper and prove from there if this critter was near me.

But since it's been apart several times...and no telling if anything was burned in the attempts....those old plugs hide corrosion...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I thought about swapping the left side cluster for the tach model, but then I'd lose my oil pressure gauge, and that is not acceptable to me.

I have a spare ammeter from a broken cluster that I salvaged from the junkyard. I'll test your theory and wire it alt-----ammeter-----battery
but I'm sure it will smoke it without the factory shunt in place, which I'm 99% sure was in the oem alternator harness.
Why would it smoke it....? You keep it on the same line. No grounding...

The distance between the two posts will offer enough resistance. You can close or open the gap to suit. If you have to open it....make a backwrap shunt....

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The alternator is wired the way the Ron Francis harness is built. Charges all the time from what I gather.. https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.ronfrancis.com/downloads/INSTRUCTIONS/AH23-INST.pdf

So far the battery is several years old and has been flawless. So we'll test out that theory about it decreasing the battery life..

I've tried to jumper test the ammeter but nothing I do will make it show a charge condition while running. With the original 4cyl it would show charging very well on the gauge. Removing that factory alternator harness (shunt) is what screwed me. My theory is that without the factory shunt in place, I'm not forcing any power through the ammeter, no matter how I have it jumpered.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Aye.

Maybe I am understanding it wrong..but
A shunt is micro resistance in this case....as it shows it in the diagram you posted.

And it is exactly that.

Just do it.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I just emailed Rocketman to see if he'll convert the factory gauge to a voltmeter. He does do custom work.

....aaaaaand he's traveling from June 1 - June 14 soo..... crap

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
He responded today and told me he could do it, and he just finished one for someone else last week. I think this is the route for me to take. It'll tell me all I need to know about my charging system.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I was gonna say pussy...

But yeah....I would do that.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You do gain the pretty red light of doom though!

I don't know how super awesome the factory oil pressure gauge was. It always said the same thing at idle or going down the highway. My autometer varies a lot more depending on if the engine is at idle or wound up at flank speed. And I have a idiot light to get my attention now if I have next to no oil pressure.

I do need to figure out how to get the charging idiot light to work sometime though. But I have a volt meter living beside the oil pressure gauge on the bottom of the dash in the mean time.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Depending on the sender one uses, the oil pressure gauge can actually be pretty nice. Mine shows very high oil pressure when cold, and after warming up it will drop an expected amount on the gauge. Sure, it doesn't have PSI numbers, which would be nice, but it does let me monitor my engine vitals. I've also been thinking about adding an oil cooler since it would be so easy with the filter relocation kit..

One thing I recently learned is that you can very easily raise your oil pressure by simply switching your oil filter to a different model. I used to run the Wix 51515 - I believe, and I switched to the Wix 51085 (since that's what I run on my Allis 720, and it raised my oil pressure a good bit on the gauge. It's a smaller (shorter) filter but the reduction in oil capacity is negligible and it clears my new front sway bar a bit better as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals