• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger V8 swap gauge questions

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I don't currently have either the bk/o wire or the y/w wire coming from connector c109 hooked to anything, though I did try a few times before.

From c109 it looks like I need the y/w wire hooked to the battery + and the bk/o wire hooked to the alternator but im not sure which wire on the alternator. It's a stock 92 Thunderbird alternator.

20210531_165541.jpg

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It's looking like the "A" terminal on the alternator will be used?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What alternator are you using?

2G alternator should have B+ to battery(fused), this is the big wire, B+ is the stud/nut terminal, 75amp
"A" to battery(fused), 15amp
"S" is the jumper wire back to alternator
"I" is the ON/OFF switch, needs 12volt, but key on ONLY or battery will run down

AMP gauge is not part of this nor does it make alternator work or not work, its not the same as battery light setup

AMP gauge wires are added to the B+ wire, i.e. B+ alternator to battery wire, to monitor direction of voltage on that wire, from Alt to battery is Charge, from battery to Alt is Discharge

From your diagram looks like you need to find the red/orange wire and yellow/light green wire if you want to hook up your AMP meter

These wouldn't be part of a 3rd party wiring harness

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It's the stock 1992 Thunderbird 5.0 alternator.

I've looked over this EVTM diagram until I was blue in the face, and tried a few combinations of testing, but my testing wires may be too small. The alternator is still charging the battery. I know that much for sure. Confirmed via voltmeter.

I'm using a Ron Francis Telorvek wiring harness with their add-on alternator harness.

I should be able to tie this system in to the factory amp gauge. That gauge does indeed show discharge when I have the blower motor turned on, etc.. I juts know I'm over-thinking this or missing something super simple.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If AMP gauge moves then its hooked up to something
It has no wires connected in the cab, both should be out in the engine bay
My alternator connector does look like that. Well, close enough. I have the Ron Francis 3G kit.

My problem is that it will only show discharge. Otherwise it always stays right at zero or slightly below.

So far I been driving it for a couple years with just the following: I have the BK/O wire from C110 (C110 is a single wire connector) coming from the cab hooked directly to the positive terminal on the starter solenoid. That's also where I have the large charge wire coming from my alternator to charge the battery.

I'm hoping by posting these comments, something will eventually click in my brain. lol

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wiring kit looks OK but larger red wire replaces Black/Orange wire as the B+ wire

So there should be no black/orange wire unless you didn't use the large Red wire

And there should be a fusible link between starter solenoid(relay) and the black/orange(red) wire

Find the AMP meter wires, red/orange wire and yellow/light green wire

Oh, and look for a Black/blue stripe wire while your at it, that's for Temp gauge, any Ford temp sender will work, just may not have same connector

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Wiring kit looks OK but larger red wire replaces Black/Orange wire as the B+ wire

So there should be no black/orange wire unless you didn't use the large Red wire

And there should be a fusible link between starter solenoid(relay) and the black/orange(red) wire

Find the AMP meter wires, red/orange wire and yellow/light green wire
It's my understanding that the R/O and Y/LG are behind the dash. I should be able to make the connections under the hood without getting behind the cluster at all. The BK/O and Y/W are both under the hood on the drivers side inner fender, and I don't have them hooked to anything currently. I do have the BK/O FROM C110 hooked directly to the + at the starter solenoid, but in connector C109, I'm not using either BK/O or Y/W wires.

So, according to the diagram above, I've got the battery side (left side of diagram) of the circuit connected since the BK/O from C110 (single wire connector) is hooked directly to the solenoid.

It's the middle/right side of the diagram that I'm lacking I think.

It seems like I need to hook the Y/W wire from the cab connector C109 to the alternator AND the BK/O from C109 to the battery + at the starter solenoid..?

I need professional help. :icon_twisted:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
One thought... If I could convert this gauge to a voltmeter, then that would be acceptable. Though I'd have to have an overlay made for the gauge face. I see they make similar things for the older F-series trucks.

I'm betting that I've removed the shunt when I removed the factory 4cyl alternator wiring, and that's my entire problem. Especially since the gauge does read a discharge condition. I know the old Ford F-series trucks had the shunt in the alternator harness. I'm betting the 1st gen Rangers were exactly the same.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I used to have two ammeter for monitoring my glow plug banks. But....they had built in shunt.

Trace out your wires from the gauge so you know where they go exactly. I would just put it inline from the alt to the battery with new wire direct from the gauge harness at the cluster with fuselink wire as the separator for the drop....basically what it was....or just make your own backwrap shunt..

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I used to have two ammeter for monitoring my glow plug banks. But....they had built in shunt.

Trace out your wires from the gauge so you know where they go exactly. I would just put it inline from the alt to the battery with new wire direct from the gauge harness at the cluster with fuselink wire as the separator for the drop....basically what it was....or just make your own backwrap shunt..
OR you could just drive to Illinois and fix this thing for me!! :clapping:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
We have two rigs out there for peoples gas .. but I am stuck in mid east Ohio right now. I need to go home and get my bronco so I can cage it up enough to go to Moab....you will have to come to me.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Maybe someone will fix it for me at the Ranger meet-up later this year. Maybe Dirtman :ROFLMAO:

I've been doing some reading on these old Ford shunt style ammeters and apparently you can't put them inline. If you do they'll blow.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
It probably works fine.

What is it charging at? 14.2 after crank and falling to 13.8? They don't usually move much unless your cranking 15 plus v.

Discharge the battery with the lights for an hour....then start it up and see where it swings to

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The red/orange wire and yellow/light green wire are in the cab but would HAVE TO have been out in the engine bay for the amp meter to work.

No, on "changing" the Ranger Amp meter to a Volt meter, way way easier to just hook amp meter up, or just buy a digital volt meter and plug it into the Cigar lighter, seen here WITH USB hook ups, lol: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51rM0Hd8LLL._AC_SL1100_.jpg
Or hook one up under the dash

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals