• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger Retrofit Help

boyluke2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks robbie. Ill go to the boneyard sometime in the next couple of days and find me a rad and see what happens

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have used flex fans before with an aluminum spacer (move it into the shroud) to eliminate clutch and cooling problems, it does cost you a little bit in MPG and is louder. Absolutely use a fan shroud.

I used an electric fan in lieu of the engine driven fan and it was not enough. But, at idle this as a pusher fan might be enough to keep you from over heating at idle when installed in front of every thing else. If you have an automatic transmission, used with an external cooler with fan, that will help drop a lot of heat and is better for the transmission.

This fan I used is thin enough to fit about anywhere.

Electric fan
TorqFlo #733680
12” 8.8 amp cont
800 CFM free air flow
675 restricted air flow

boyluke2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Prepper - im going to not just upgrade the fan. it runs pretty hot on hot days, even going 60 consistently. My water pump and fan clutch came in today, im going to install it and remove and flush the radiator both ways when i do it and if that doesnt fix it i will do the 4.0 rad swap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When radiator is out do the "Flip test"
Stand radiator up like it sits in the vehicle
Put hand over lower rad hose outlet
Fill up rad via upper rad hose outlet
Remove hose
Remove hand over lower rad hose outlet, water should drain out instantly, rad cap open and upper hose open lets in plenty of air

Now FLIP RAD OVER, upside down, NO WATER should come out
If any comes out it can have only come from blocked passages that couldn't drain

You can lay rad flat and fill it with HOT water and vinegar solution, let it sit for 15min, then flush
Repeat as you see fit
Do Flip Test again

Clogged passage will eventually rust out and leak because there is no coolant circulation so NO rust protection from coolant additives

It's why heater cores leak, block passage, rust starts, hole follows :)

boyluke2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Awesome. Thanks ron for the tips, ill do this either tomorrow or sunday and ill report how it goes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals