• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger, No Spark, No inj pulse

Austin_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm troubleshooting a starting problem with my Ranger. Actually stopped running while on the highway. Intermittently wouldn't start after driving 20 minutes, after sitting for 10 minutes, it would start again. Well, now it's in the driveway and it won't start at all.

Replaced the ECM with used ECM from salvage yard (same exact part number). Replaced both fuel pumps. Have switched ECM's back and forth, same behavior.

Fuel pump relay does not cycle when turning key to on position. Disconnected SPOUT and I get ignition fire. But still no fuel pump or injection pulse. With SPOUT connected, no ignition fire.

No power to wires 22, 47, 57 at ECM.

Using All DATA 8.7. Any help would be appreciated. What's the next step?

Appreciatively,

Austin Ranger

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
check grounds and relay for fuel pump.
also check the interia switch.

also have the TFI (aka ignition module) checked

Last edited:

Austin_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Enriched,

Good suggestion. Yanked the relays out of a running Ranger my friend has (newer year) and the truck started. I cracked open the two relays and one was toasted. It was an aftermarket, Indian-made relay.

I'm now wondering if there's a deeper problem that caused that relay to burn up. I had replaced the relay prior to replacing the two fuel pumps. Perhaps the old fuel pump was drawing too much power and toasted the relay. Also damaged the new relay before I replaced the fuel pump.

Could the fuel filter be plugged up, which then is causing the fuel pump to work harder, thereby burning up the relay(s)? I ask this because the fuel filter is mounted in the frame and appears to be pretty hard to get out of there to replace. Don't want to mess with it if it's an unlikely culprit.

Truck has 152,000 miles on it. 2.9L MT, 4x4.

Appreciatively,

Austin Ranger

86 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
well i have an 86 and mine actually has another pump on the frame rail about 2 feet in front of the filter and if one burns up they both end up burning up so i had to replace both and the filter though the filter wasnt too clean i dont thank it caused it just old age(stockers). so check it out and see what u come up with i hope this helps u out a little

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Enriched,

Good suggestion. Yanked the relays out of a running Ranger my friend has (newer year) and the truck started. I cracked open the two relays and one was toasted. It was an aftermarket, Indian-made relay.

I'm now wondering if there's a deeper problem that caused that relay to burn up. I had replaced the relay prior to replacing the two fuel pumps. Perhaps the old fuel pump was drawing too much power and toasted the relay. Also damaged the new relay before I replaced the fuel pump.

Could the fuel filter be plugged up, which then is causing the fuel pump to work harder, thereby burning up the relay(s)? I ask this because the fuel filter is mounted in the frame and appears to be pretty hard to get out of there to replace. Don't want to mess with it if it's an unlikely culprit.

Truck has 152,000 miles on it. 2.9L MT, 4x4.

Appreciatively,

Austin Ranger
just change the fuel filter, (yes it can be a royal pain, but not impossible)....if it is suspect or hasn't been changed in a while....it just needs it. get 2 of them in fact. If the filter corrects the isssue, odds are very good that there is more junk in the tank. After driving a couple of tanks out after the replacement, do it again, any other "goodies" should be in the 1st replacement filter. the Idea is you maybe able to hedge off the fuel pump/s replacement, which is by FAR, more expensive and twice as difficult...well at least more time consuming.

If you suspect the pump and or pumps, yes you'll more-than-likely have 2, 1 in the tank and 1 on the frame rail...you'll need to check the pressure...should be 30-40psi. then check the flow...the stream should be steady and no interuptions. not really sure as the out put (GPM's/hr)...I'm sure others would have a better Idea of that. Ussually, if the pump/s can't produce enough for the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulater) to maintain pressure....then they just replace the pump and don't mess with the flow.

The issue of taking out the relays....double check all the wires make sure that you're not shorting out somewhere. that includes all grounds. Might also want to make sure that the alternator isn't over producing too.

Last edited:

Austin_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
just change the fuel filter, (yes it can be a royal pain, but not impossible)....if it is suspect or hasn't been changed in a while....it just needs it. get 2 of them in fact. If the filter corrects the isssue, odds are very good that there is more junk in the tank. After driving a couple of tanks out after the replacement, do it again, any other "goodies" should be in the 1st replacement filter. the Idea is you maybe able to hedge off the fuel pump/s replacement, which is by FAR, more expensive and twice as difficult...well at least more time consuming.

If you suspect the pump and or pumps, yes you'll more-than-likely have 2, 1 in the tank and 1 on the frame rail...you'll need to check the pressure...should be 30-40psi. then check the flow...the stream should be steady and no interuptions. not really sure as the out put (GPM's/hr)...I'm sure others would have a better Idea of that. Ussually, if the pump/s can't produce enough for the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulater) to maintain pressure....then they just replace the pump and don't mess with the flow.

The issue of taking out the relays....double check all the wires make sure that you're not shorting out somewhere. that includes all grounds. Might also want to make sure that the alternator isn't over producing too.
Wow. Awesome information in this post. Thank you very much, Enriched!

I'll bite the bullet and try to get that fuel filter out of the frame rail and replace with a new one. Just to clarify for anyone reading along, I have already replaced the pump in the tank & the one in the rail. Also completely cleaned out the gas tank, which wasn't dirty or rusty. I'm going to follow the above advice on the fuel filter because I don't want to burn up another relay and get stuck again.

So far, it's driving well, though. Just took it on a 100 mile drive today. No drama. Whew.

Austin Ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals