• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger GT (DD autocross Truck)

JimO

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
i probably would have went with the transit FEAD and conventional powersteering rack....

but i am a big fan of the cyclone. very under rated..... and potentially very cost effective.....especially as the hp tuner data base grows.

awesome work mang!!!!!
Thanks for checking out the build.
The 3.7 is a 60degree design, while the coyote weighs 150ish pounds more and is a wide 90degrees.
The 3.7 60degree V6 fits in the engine bay and makes 335hp with a header, exh and intake on 93octane (e85 adds close to 40 ft/lb of torque) and you can buy a factory new complete engine for less than 3k.
I used electric power assist to keep weight off of the front and help the balance for autocross.
I'm currently building custom fuel tanks with a better fuel pump and fuel sender float. I'll post when I get close to completion.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Great project! What class is this intended to run in? What was the IRS sourced from?

JimO

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
Great project! What class is this intended to run in? What was the IRS sourced from?
It runs in Cam-T autocross class and is very competitive. The differential for the
20200604_132751.jpg

IRS is from a 2017 mustang. The rear suspension is a custom double A arm design.
20191119_075246.jpg

87 RngrGt Bristol (2).jpg

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very impressive!
I'm honestly a little surprised that it meets the minimum weight requirement for Cam T, even with all of that steel in the frame. Any idea what it weighs, and are you using any ballast to get over 3000 lbs?

JimO

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
Very impressive!
I'm honestly a little surprised that it meets the minimum weight requirement for Cam T, even with all of that steel in the frame. Any idea what it weighs, and are you using any ballast to get over 3000 lbs?
Thanks and awesome job on your Ranger, very clean. I'm looking forward to completing the exterior this summer, one color, lol. I've scaled the truck a few times to corner balance (you can see the scales in the photo above) and it weighs between 2940 and 3050lbs depending on the wheels, tires and fuel level. I have some long nuts welded to the chassis, so a steel plate can be added under the rear mid section of the chassis as needed (you can see them in the photo above). When I build the composite hood, front bumper and install my race seat I may need to add ballast at that point.
There looks like there may be a rule change this year, the weight requirement may change to 3180 with the driver.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Man this truck looks amazing!!

I'd love to see more photos of it finished as well as shots of the inside.

JimO

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual

Thanks Jim,
I'm currently working on the things that will effect the autocross race season( custom fuel cell with a bigger pump to run e85, electric pwr steering, pedal box rebuild, lighter flywheel, suspension springs and frt sway bar).
I'll have the interior back together pretty soon and post some pictures. It has a vintage air heat/AC unit, a radio and it is a good daily driver on all season tires.
I'll post photos of the composite parts when I build them. It should look pretty good by the summer.
Here's a photo of the fender flares that will be used to make molds for the composite parts.
20221121_152954.jpg

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Cool truck. Pretty close to the end goal for my own truck, although I intend to go as fast as possible with factory frame & suspension geometry.

JimO

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
Cool truck. Pretty close to the end goal for my own truck, although I intend to go as fast as possible with factory frame & suspension geometry.
Hey, Thanks for checking out the build. Good luck with your build.

JimO

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual

Hey Jim, here are a couple interior pictures. I'm in the prosses of hooking up the Vintage Air heat/AC as well as rebuilding the pedal box and fabricating the Electric power steering unit.

Attachments

Oz Rebel

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
AMC Rebel
Transmission
Automatic
Hello JimO,
I am attempting a EPS conversion, a 2014 corolla EPS into my 1968 AMC rebel, mechanical installation is not a problem but could you help with any electrical information to get the system up and running. That is what other inputs are needed ect. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals