• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger 2.3 dpfe replacement parts???

MikeW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1st off I hope this is in the right forum...
OK...I know what the dpfe is and what it does. I'm not looking for technical advice or diagnosis, I've done all that. Specifically what I need is a replacement.
That being said on to my problem. My stock dpfe sensor has 2 parts to it with 2 electrical connectors (1 for each side) there is a small (approximately 1.5") piece of vacuum tube that runs between them, and then the 2 ports on the left solenoid.
This particular setup seems to have vanished from existence for purchase unless I'm willing to spend 200.00+ and wait 6 months to get the part... I'm not. Sooo on to my question.

Since all the dpfe sensors do the same thing in reference to their function and any dpfe (should) work.... what are my options as far as replacement? The SMP vs44 (or equivalent) is what is in there now. (the above configuration) Since it is no longer available and the other dpfe sensors (which only have 1 wiring connector and 2 nipples) are readily available... what can I do about that 2nd solenoid, wiring harness, and crossover tube?
I have been staring at this book, harness, configuration and scouring the internet for over a month now looking for a solution and I'm about at my wits end! :temper:
I see them occasionally in the bone yard but these things are 30 years old and can't possibly be in much better condition than mine.
I just replaced my egr valve (bad diaphragm) and map sensor but it's going to be all for not if this danged dpfe system can't be.... retooled... to a more up to date (available) part.
Anyone else had any luck with this? TIA! :icon_thumby:
Mike

(PS I have 0 interest in deleting the egr system, but thanks for the suggestion)
1987 Ford Ranger xlt 2.3 efi 5sp rwd vin A

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the 1987 2.3l used a DPFE system

DPFE uses exhaust manifold pressure differences so computer can accurately judge the flow of exhaust gases into the intake via the EGR valve
It only has 3 parts on the engine
1. DPFE sensor, one electrical connector, two hoses running to exhaust manifold/EGR tube

2. EGR valve, one vacuum hose running to EGR solenoid/modulator

3. EGR solenoid, one electrical connector, two vacuum hoses, one to EGR valve and one to Intake manifold

Older systems used computer "strategies" based on engine load and RPMs, so didn't have exhaust flow feedback like the DPFE system uses.
Computer activated EGR vacuum via solenoid and then had an EGR sensor that confirmed Vacuum was applied, usually located on top of EGR valve and sensor moved when EGR valve did, telling computer movement of the valve.

Yours reads like the EGR sensor is a vacuum level sensor, "T" to EGR valves vacuum line, computer would read vacuum level being applied to EGR valve when it activated the EGR solenoid

Vacuum(intake)---------EGR solenoid---EGR sensor----------------EGR Valve

DPFE is a better system because it reads actual flow of exhaust into intake so as tube and valve got carbon build up inside computer just opened EGR valve more to compensate, which the older setups couldn't do.
Computer needs to be setup for reading DPFE, so not interchangable

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If one of the vacuum lines runs to manifold vacuum(via reservoiar, via ???), and the other to the EGR diaphragm(on the EGR valve), then the combo is the EGR solenoid pair that open to provide vacuum, move the EGR pintle valve open, along with changing the resistance of the EGR valve position sensor, then 'locking' the EGR in that position using the second solenoid. One valve allows in vacuum. The other 'holds', and vents to atmosphere when commanded(idle speed rpm, WOT throtle, the peas are ripe...?? i dunno exactly). The second solenoid valve should have a 'cube' of sponge rubber as a filter to keep dirt, bugs, spiders, gorillas from entering the valve when the vacuum is vented, and the valve is open. You might want to look for an 85-up EGR solenoid valve assembly. The pic of the SMP vs22 is very similar(didn't go outside to verify) to what is installed in the 85 EFI 2.3 to run the EGR valve.
I searched for:

ford ranger 2.3 1987 EGR valve solenoid

using google.

here, now, on ebay, only $50 bux. New Old stock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-OEM-Ford-E6FE-9D474-E1A-EGR-Vacuum-Valve-Solenoid-/182507276882?fits=Make:Ford

You can duplicate the same function with two standard 12v valves. It is not anything special as far as function. I think both are NC valves, one opens to allow vacuum to the diaphragm, then closes. The other opens to 'dump' the vacuum and allow the EGR to close. Big whoop.
tom

MikeW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
smp vs43

that's almost the one there! but that's from the t-bird and has an extra vac line on the top mine doesn't have. ... maybe I could just cap it? might be for the turbo my 2.3 doesn't have so my computer wouldn't be looking for it...
hmmmmm

MikeW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
RonD lol yea it's dpfs(ish)

In the 85-87 it's called an egr time delay switch and the 2nd little solenoid is apparently called an evr solenoid.... rough translation dpfe its just 2 components connected to do the job of 1. That's why I'm sure there has got to be a way to use a newer dpfe solenoid I'm just not sure if the evr solenoid wires actually interact with the computer in some fashion that's going to be catastrophic to my sensors or if simply get's power?
If it is just a +12v vac solenoid then just leaving it unplugged should do nothing as the new dpfe contains all necessary technology inside of it, but if it's a power and reference wire leaving it unplugged may not get the computer the info it needs.
Also, I've noticed on several of the newer dpfe sensors the connector is a 3 wire rather than a set of 2, 2 wire plugs. Could it be possible that by using a new dpfe I would just replace my 2 post connector with the new 3 wire plug and move the 2nd (non power) wire from the evr solenoid to the 3rd position on the new dpfe?
I have the book schematics and a few I got from ford but when I follow the wires in the harness (in the book) backwards to the computer the evr's green wire seems to disappear into the harness never to be seen again so I can't tell if it's needed or not.
This is going to be one of those things that someone out there just....knows.... but between now and then, nobody at ford knows why I have this set up, they've never seen it and aren't sure what to do about it nor are they sure how I can get the correct part. Seems it was a transitional part that didn't work so well but since it was only used in 2.5 years worth of vehicles... didn't warrant a fix.
Thanks Ford :dunno:
Keep those ideas coming guys I'm on a roll! We'll fix this for everyone :shok:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have to drop the DPFE reference.
Ford's DPFE setup reads Exhaust pressure differences, it has Exhaust hose connections, no physical connection to EGR solenoid or EGR valve, or a vacuum hose
Your 1987 computer won't understand DPFE sensors signal/data

Get the 1987 2.3l egr time delay switch from ebay in tomw's link

This is the computer you have and has pin numbers for the TWO EGR solenoids: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Mikew:In the 85-87 it's called an egr time delay switch and the 2nd little solenoid is apparently called an evr solenoid.... rough translation dpfe

Where did you get this information? I am looking at the EVTM for the 1985 Ranger, page 40, electronic control for the 2.3l engine.
Connected to pins 33 & 62 are two solenoids. Label: EGR control solenoid & EGR vent solenoid. The work by supplying vacuum to the EGR diaphragm, and then holding it until the vent is operated, as I 'splained above.
There is no DPFE, as was noted above that REQUIRES connection to the exhaust, above and below a restriction welded into the EGR tube. 87 aint got no such thing.
I am not going to inspect the ebay listing images. The proper setup will have two vacuum lines. One to the engine(manifold) vacuum source, one to the EGR valve.
I believe both solenoid valves are NC. (normally closed) The one opens to admit vacuum, at EEC-IV command, until the EGR valve moves, sending an electrical signal back to the EEC-IV computer, at which time, the valve is de-powered, parking the EGR valve where the computer wanted it.
When the computer realizes the engine is at or coming to idle, it will power the OTHER solenoid, and dump the vacuum. The vacuum being dumped, the EGR valve is closed by spring pressure. Viola, we have control of the EGR valve using a valve with 'feedback' of its position.
I think there's no DPFE involved, as far as I can see. Just two dumb solenoid valves.

FWIW:
You may / can replace the two valves in tandem using just about ANY OTHER VACUUM solenoid valve, NC. Just plumb them up as the originals were, and do some wiring.
The older valves are likely harder to find, OEM style, with OEM connectors.
I have suggested in the recent past that those needing valves get a newer version, and do some wiring to change the connectors to match the original harness connectors. Solder and shrink wrap are likely good things to have when doing the surgery.
The computer won't care as long as the EGR pintle moves when commanded, and the resistance produced(changes with position) is on par with what is expected.
Keep it simple. It's a lot easier, and the product may be just as good as the complex, thought involved replacement. Get a couple valves, and do some surgery.
tom

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also if rewiring solenoids test wires for 12volts with Key ON
Ford often sends 12volts to computer controlled solenoids(and relays) when key is on.

The Computer wire on each solenoid is the GROUND, computer grounds the solenoid to activate it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals