• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'87 mustang GT project

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have one in black...lol bought it for 20 bucks at rod run in pigeon forge but now i cant find a adapter for it. yea i think new head lights get rid of them blacked out ones. hids would be nice too:icon_hornsup:
I got a Grant wheel and an adapter kit for my Ranger at the local O'Reilly's parts store.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
had her going tonight!! what a feeling to here her running again. she dont want to idle for any longer than 10 or 15 seconds though and revving her up is like revin up a carbd vehicle. i couldnt let her idle long enough to unhook the booster cables and move the truck out of the way so i could drive the car in the garage. ill try to get at her again tomorow when i have my buddy with me and ill put her in the garage then

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
So why doesn't she want to run for more than 10-15 seconds? Let's get this thing diagnosed and get her road worthy!

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well i got the other motor done and ready to go in, thats the winter project. im just curious on this project.
she just dies out, wont stay going

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Does it start right back up? When it does run, how well does it run? You mentioned the injectors were changed.......are they blue? It's fuel, spark, or a vacuum leak just gotta figure out which.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does the seat have the mustang lean? anyone on here familiar with foxbodys knows what im talking about....

if u dont, ford on the fox body cars on how the driver seat is constructed is designed to break when the cars been beat on ALOT, its how ford used to get away with not warrantying the mustangs when everyone was blowing them up beating the ever loving piss out of them....

i would get up on the underside of the car boggin, alot of the cars down this way hide rust on the underside and in the trunk area, and if there really isnt any rust on it(not like ur rust free ranger lol:icon_twisted:) i would go ahead and do the steps to insure it doesnt rot as SOON as its running properly, id imagine the salt on the roads up there year round would eat that thing alive

id change the fuel filter on it first, with how long it was sitting im sure theres junk in the filter

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
does the seat have the mustang lean? anyone on here familiar with foxbodys knows what im talking about....

if u dont, ford on the fox body cars on how the driver seat is constructed is designed to break when the cars been beat on ALOT, its how ford used to get away with not warrantying the mustangs when everyone was blowing them up beating the ever loving piss out of them...
My seat leans. Being a fat guy adds to that too though. I do have to say though.....it would take an awful lot of beating to "blow up" a Mustang. Mine has had nothing but sheer hell at times, and still has the original motor (bottom end) and T5 transmission at 187,000 miles. Although, it is being stored in my friends transmission shop for the winter......I might need to have him do it while it's sitting there.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Does it start right back up? When it does run, how well does it run? You mentioned the injectors were changed.......are they blue? It's fuel, spark, or a vacuum leak just gotta figure out which.
yeah it starts back up again, and still works the same. its not a fuel problem, when we changed hte injectors that was way back first when i had it, so thats not the problem. it also makes a loud knocking sound and is out on a couple cylinders.

if u dont, ford on the fox body cars on how the driver seat is constructed is designed to break when the cars been beat on ALOT, its how ford used to get away with not warrantying the mustangs when everyone was blowing them up beating the ever loving piss out of them....

i would get up on the underside of the car boggin, alot of the cars down this way hide rust on the underside and in the trunk area, and if there really isnt any rust on it(not like ur rust free ranger lol:icon_twisted:) i would go ahead and do the steps to insure it doesnt rot as SOON as its running properly, id imagine the salt on the roads up there year round would eat that thing alive

id change the fuel filter on it first, with how long it was sitting im sure theres junk in the filter
idk what lean your talking about, and we had the car on a lift in a garage once and im telling you she is rust free, the only spot where there is rust is where the spare tire carrier used to be, theres a pin hole there, nothing that cant be fixed with a tack weld. maybe my brother already done it at the garage he worked at i dunno.

where are you getting the salty roads "year around" to? this car has never ever seen a salted road.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno about Canada, but many of the northern states in the US don't salt their roads.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
canada does in the snowy time, sometimes its a mixture of salt/sand, or just sand.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Boggin... that's a car. Would be a good motor for the Ranger! :icon_twisted:

Nice car man, a fox body 5.0 would be one of the only cars I'd buy.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well the motor that comes out of this car wont be used after the new one goes in.. :D

but apparently a 5.0 HO swap is alot more of a pita than just a regular 5.0

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
????Why's this????
because boggins doing it:thefinger:

and considering its a 23 year old car i find it highly unlikely that its never seen a salted road.....

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
because boggins doing it:thefinger:

and considering its a 23 year old car i find it highly unlikely that its never seen a salted road.....
why? good cars up here never see salted roads. everybody has a big ass garage to store them in, hell theres even a storage building for the public to store vehicle. get over it seriously

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals