• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ford ranger

ReaperGoneRogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Hey I'm new to this page but on a serious note I got some questions about my 302 swap in my ranger. It originally had the 2.0 carb 5 speed in it.

I'm running a from what i can tell an 80 model 302 block but the guy I bought it from got it in a trade so we know very little about what the build is other than it sounded awesome on the starting stand hahaha.

My question is what modifications if any are required to fit some tri-y headers. I've read other links and threads on here and none I've seen had said what they went with or what they had to do. I do have the headman shorty headers I originally bought for it but the passenger side sits right up against the end of my starter going straight down. I did buy some tri-ys for a 64-70 mustang (from what I was told should work) and tried them out but still having clearance issues with them. So if anyone knows what I need to do or have another thread to send me to I would appreciate it.
20160922_111002.jpg20160922_110911.jpg
20160922_111002.jpg
20160922_110911.jpg

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Small world. My trucks an '87 and had a 2.0, 5-speed. I bought a set of Tri-Ys used at a swap meet and they fit like a glove even with the big 164t bellhousing. Maybe a tad close to the pass frame with one tube. The guy told me they were for a Falcon but that's most likely the same as a Mustang. Where exactly are you having problems around the starter? I use an old style giant Ford starter and it has plenty of room.
20191208_143700.jpg

ReaperGoneRogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
On the starter I'm using a 70's style and from what I can see looks like it's the same as yours. So when I put my headman shorty headheaders on it shoots straight down on the passenger side and sits right up against the end of the starter. As for the tri-y headers I'm having a hard time getting the driver side in because of my steering shaft being in the way and I can't go through underneath because the header is too long to maneuver. I have my truck on Jack stands and don't have a lift so I'm not sure if having it up higher would help at all.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Ah, I might be able to help. I have a straight drive but I had my clutch, bellhousing and starter already on the motor so I had to twist the motor sideways to get past the core support and cowl but once I got the motor straightened out past all that stuff, I had to put the headers on while the motor was still up in the air then set it in the mounts all together. I think I had the motor in and out three times getting the mounts figured out. The fourth time it went on the mounts but I couldn't get the headers on so I had to pick it up again and put the headers on. The 5th time was the charm.

Rager351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1988 Ranger that was originally equipped with the 2.0 as well. I did a 302 swap many moons ago on this truck as I am the original owner. Currently the truck sports a 418 windsor and a TKO 600. As far as 302 tri Y headers contact Total Performance in Mt Clemens MI. 586-468-3673 No website! They make a set that will clear your steering as well as your starter. You will best be able to install these by lifting the engine up off of your motor mounts and moving the engine foward a bit. My stroker Windsor requires the headers to be placed in the engine bay first and then install the engine after. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals