• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 F150 Won’t Start

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I’ve gotten GREAT info here about my ranger, so figured I’d try again. Just got handed down a 1987 F150 i6 300, 4 speed, Extended Cab Long bed.

At first I was not getting spark and found distributor not all the way in the block (rotor not spinning). Now distributor is flush with the block, rotor spinning and timing was reset. Spark plug #1 was pulled until compression stroke was felt and crankshaft pulley notch was set at 0. Now I have spark.

Started the truck with starting fluid and it ran for about a minute. I shut it off and tried to restart, again with starting fluid but this time ran for only 5 seconds. Called it a night and jumped back into it this morning.

This morning starter solenoid welded itself and would not stop cranking, battery terminals were pulled and solenoid from the ranger was installed. All is working again.. except it won’t start, even with starting fluid.

I pulled distributor and I reset the timing again, even tried a new ignition module but no luck. High pressure fuel pump in the rail under drivers seat is running. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Pull the SPOUT and see if it runs.

Check your grounds.

Check fuel pressure. The 300 needs 65psi IIRC.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Truck will not run with spout pulled. Grounds appear fine, but may be corroded inside. I have 2 inline fuel filters, paper element before pump and canister after the pump. I will check fuel pressure and report back. Thanks!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds l like it is a fuel issue. At least partially.

The 87 F-150 300-6 should be pretty familiar to you. It's mostly the same as your 91 Ranger 2.3, just bigger parts.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Fuel pressure is 10psi KOEO and while cranking. I disconnected the canister filter and turned the key on, no fuel came out just air through the pump.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
This is the first inline filter I have, before the pump. Does the bottom plastic come off to access the paper element? Or does the entire unit have to be replace or bypassed?

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
They unscrew off the bottom kinda like an oil filter.

But its a 50/50 if theres really a filter there.

Pull the line off running into it. Turn the key on. You should get fuel pumping out. Sounds like the low pressure intank pump shit out.

Or if you got dual tanks try switching tanks. I believe in 87 they still ran the vacuum switcher. It could also be the culprit.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Not sure on that one...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Will it reach up towards the brake master? Also there might be a proportioning (not the right name but I'm brain dead right now) valve in that area.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I found the inertia switch. The grey switch on top appears to be pushed up and out. The button will not allow to be pushed back in and stay. I rigged a few zip ties around the switch to keep it down and rear fuel in tank pump can be heard humming.

After cranking, NO fuel pressure.

After trying to bleed air from the lines I was getting almost no fuel. I pulled the line after the pump in the frame rail. Maybe pump is bad? It sounds like it’s working fine but fuel and air are barely spitting out with hardly any force.

No fuel is being pushed from the tank pump and no fuel is being pushed from the rail pump. Only thing I haven’t verified yet is fuel filter in the rail. There are 4 lines coming in and 2 going out. It looked impossible to get to. I removed three 10mm bolts on the frame and took the shield off. Plastic filter case was extremely tight, had to use an oil filter strap wrench. There is no filter inside this housing and NO fuel getting to this point when key is turned on. Sending unit is working on Tank B because fuel gauge works and sits on 1/4 tank.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The fuel pump gear could be broke. The rail pump is running? Your sure....that plug looks like a rail pump plug.

There is gas in the tank?

The lp pump hose could be bad too.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The gauge reading a 1/4 don't mean shit to me

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I found the inertia switch. The grey switch on top appears to be pushed up and out. The button will not allow to be pushed back in and stay. I rigged a few zip ties around the switch to keep it down and rear fuel in tank pump can be heard humming.

After cranking, NO fuel pressure.

After trying to bleed air from the lines I was getting almost no fuel. I pulled the line after the pump in the frame rail. Maybe pump is bad? It sounds like it’s working fine but fuel and air are barely spitting out with hardly any force.

No fuel is being pushed from the tank pump and no fuel is being pushed from the rail pump. Only thing I haven’t verified yet is fuel filter in the rail. There are 4 lines coming in and 2 going out. It looked impossible to get to. I removed three 10mm bolts on the frame and took the shield off. Plastic filter case was extremely tight, had to use an oil filter strap wrench. There is no filter inside this housing and NO fuel getting to this point when key is turned on. Sending unit is working on Tank B because fuel gauge works and sits on 1/4 tank.
It really, really sounds like to me you got a dual tank selector valve thats stuck halfway inbetween postitions....

Expensive little prick but here ya go...

I guess 87 is an electric valve not vacuum. Either way, locate it, clean plug/terminals, and maybe give it a good wack or 2 (but not hard enough to break it) and see if it makes any noticiable change.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That thing you thought was a filter is what Ford calls the fuel reservoir. That link that is in the previous post is the wrong valve. That large round thing you took apart is your switching valve, fuel pressure from the pumps operate it. When you electrically switch power from one pump to the other, the pressure from the pump goes up to the fuel reservoir and moves the spool inside to switch the lines and send the return fuel to the proper tank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals