• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Bronco II 4x4 left hub needed

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone have one for sale? Mines factory version ( overhead console 4x4 operation) Any idea what causes it to break the hub cover when i engaged 4x4? RH side is fine...Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Old pot metal. Hubs not maintained.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That is a drawback of auto hubs. You have to be careful with them. They will usually not engage until you get stuck or drive quite a distance.

Once you engage the transfer case, the front axles start turning. But the hubs will not engage until the front axle starts getting ahead of the front wheel. It then starts mechanically engaging the hub. If you are stuck and then engage the 4x4, you need to gently add power at first, till the hubs engage. If you are spinning and horsing around and engage the transfer case while doing that, the front axle will start spinning very fast and will engage the wheel with a "bang". It's during that "bang" that the front hub shatters.

That is why you have to back up 10 feet to disengage them. You turn the transfer case off, the front axle stops turning, and then you back up rolling the front wheels backwards. This unscrews the hubs to release them.

Be a little more careful with them and you will not have any problems.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This place in North Carolina has left and right manual hubs. No more worrying about being gentle with the auto hubs, these lock in manually. But you do have to get out and walk around to lock them in. It's really the better way to drive a 4x4 vehicle. Predict beforehand if you need 4x4 and go ahead and engage it before you get in trouble. That will work best with either type of lockout hub.

Lockout Hub, 4X4
Ford Ranger
LH,MANUAL-0MI
X​
22-020
$50​
Exum Auto Salvage USA-NC(Marble) Request_Quote 828-837-1672 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Lockout Hub, 4X4
Ford Ranger
RH,MANUAL-0MI
X​
22-020
$50​
Exum Auto Salvage USA-NC(Marble) Request_Quote 828-837-1672 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That is a drawback of auto hubs. You have to be careful with them. They will usually not engage until you get stuck or drive quite a distance.

Once you engage the transfer case, the front axles start turning. But the hubs will not engage until the front axle starts getting ahead of the front wheel. It then starts mechanically engaging the hub. If you are stuck and then engage the 4x4, you need to gently add power at first, till the hubs engage. If you are spinning and horsing around and engage the transfer case while doing that, the front axle will start spinning very fast and will engage the wheel with a "bang". It's during that "bang" that the front hub shatters.

That is why you have to back up 10 feet to disengage them. You turn the transfer case off, the front axle stops turning, and then you back up rolling the front wheels backwards. This unscrews the hubs to release them.

WOW THANK YOU< ive NEVER heard this info B4!

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This place in North Carolina has left and right manual hubs. No more worrying about being gentle with the auto hubs, these lock in manually. But you do have to get out and walk around to lock them in. It's really the better way to drive a 4x4 vehicle. Predict beforehand if you need 4x4 and go ahead and engage it before you get in trouble. That will work best with either type of lockout hub.

Lockout Hub, 4X4
Ford Ranger
LH,MANUAL-0MI
X​
22-020
$50​
Live Chat
Lockout Hub, 4X4
Ford Ranger
RH,MANUAL-0MI
X​
22-020
$50​
Live Chat
THANK YOU SO much really appreciate the information!!

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Ok, so ALL i have ta do is lock the manual hubs n im set? Can i still use. Low? That engages Transfer case? Thank you im a flat newb.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ok, so ALL i have ta do is lock the manual hubs n im set? Can i still use. Low? That engages Transfer case? Thank you im a flat newb.
You have to get out and lock the hubs in, then shift the t-case into 4 High or 4 Low. If you get that set of manual hubs, you will need the wheel bearing nuts and big washer to go along with them. I might have a spare auto hub in my parts stash if you want to just replace what you have.

FYI do not drive around on dry pavement in 4WD, high or low, with auto hubs, or locked-in manual hubs. I don't know if you did that or not but don't do it, things will bind up and break and it's almost always the hubs that break first.

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have to get out and lock the hubs in, then shift the t-case into 4 High or 4 Low. If you get that set of manual hubs, you will need the wheel bearing nuts and big washer to go along with them. I might have a spare auto hub in my parts stash if you want to just replace what you have.

FYI do not drive around on dry pavement in 4WD, high or low, with auto hubs, or locked-in manual hubs. I don't know if you did that or not but don't do it, things will bind up and break and it's almost always the hubs that break first.
SUPR appreciate the info, i just ordered (2) TQR Lock outs, you think that wheel bearing nut n washer wil come w/it or a Dealership part? Again THANK YOU, im so thankful for knowledge base here n taking your time to help me!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No prob. I am not familiar with TQR...? Where'd you get those at? Warn and Mile Marker are the one aftermarket hubs I am aware of. I don't think either of them comes with the hardware you need.

Fortunately:

Warn is marginally better, up to you if you want to pony up the difference. I probably wouldn't.

You also need a spindle nut socket. Available locally at any parts store too - Performance Tool W1269 is the one I like.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Don't be too scared about dry pavement. If you are driving in patchy snow covered roads where the road is bare pavement and then it has snow on it, don't worry about it. You can tell when you are getting into trouble, the steering wheel will fight you in a tight turn. So try to avoid parking lot maneuvers on dry pavement. Otherwise, driving straight down the road, dry pavement is ok if you feel you might need 4x4 in the near term.

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No prob. I am not familiar with TQR...? Where'd you get those at? Warn and Mile Marker are the one aftermarket hubs I am aware of. I don't think either of them comes with the hardware you need.

Fortunately:

Warn is marginally better, up to you if you want to pony up the difference. I probably wouldn't.

You also need a spindle nut socket. Available locally at any parts store too - Performance Tool W1269 is the one I like.
Carid.

Attachments

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

OK, these TRQS from CARID DO NOT FIT..WARNING "DO NOT BUY............ IF u have an original 4x4 outer hub for 87 BII id REALLY appreciate it, thank you! I can paypal, or send postal MO...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Color me shocked that they do not fit. Shocked. Total disbelief. CARiD is a joke.

They will probably work just fine IF you have the manual hub wheel bearing nuts and washer. So... if you still have them, you could order the parts from Bronco Graveyard that I listed above and confirm that theory.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals