• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 86 with a v6 radiator

turner little

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an eighty-six with the 2.3 anybody know what hoses I need for the v6 radiator?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
As long as it's the same as a '90 like I think it is, take the stock upper hose, cut it in the middle (at the bend in the middle) and take that to a hardware store and get a 45* copper pipe elbow that fits on the inside (I'm not home or I'd measure, I think it's 1" or 1.25" pipe) and two hose clamps, put the two halves on the engine and on the radiator and trim the middle to fit with the elbow. You don't need a bulge or anything for it to hold, I've been running this setup for 10 years without issue and am using an old hose...

On the bottom, get a lower hose for a '86 Thunderbird Turbocoupe, fits reasonably, I've had to trim the radiator end before.

I used to know which radiators fit best as the lower radiator hose goes in at a couple different angles, I forgot and the last radiator I bought was a '93 manual trans Explorer radiator from Napa, the lower hose points straight back at the steering box, the previous I had the lower hose angled down a bit. It's tempting to go with the thick explorer auto tow package with A/C radiator but it's kinda cramped with a 2.3L, there's only like 3/4" between the fan clutch and radiator. I had interference but it took all my horsepower and my axle wrap to cause the issue... that's why I went with the thinner manual trans radiator.

turner little

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I did some drinking and thinking and remember owning a 90 mustang with the 2.3 and it having a long coolant pipe on the bottom so I went that route on the upper and lower. They fit great I trimmed an inch off of the lower hose at the radiator ( steering box, mustang didn’t have that) and about two inches off the upper at the radiator.

turner little

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The radiator I went with was an 86 ranger with a 2.9 and a standard it’s a two row

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals